EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   FastMail Forum (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   FILES UI: How to move files between folders (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=72399)

fmail_fan 8 Jan 2017 12:14 AM

FILES UI: How to move files between folders

Is there a way to move files (photos) between folders in the web Files interface?

BritTim 8 Jan 2017 01:11 AM

As I understand it, you must do it in two steps:
  1. Select the files you want to move and use More->Copy to folder.
  2. Delete the files from the original folder.
My own sense is that this is a reasonable process for something not done all that often.

fmail_fan 8 Jan 2017 01:47 AM

Well I tried that, with Safari and Firefox (Mac). I select the checkbox next to one or more files (photos in this case) and select Copy to folder from the More actions dropdown and nothing happens. If you select, for example, Create subfolder then controls pop up to the right of the dropdown that you fill out/select.

Same with classic UI. I'm obviously missing something here...

Grhm 8 Jan 2017 02:45 AM

It is very simple to move files between folders in the Classic interface.
Just check the boxes next to the files you want to move, and then click on the button marked << next to the folder you want to move them to.
The new interface doesn't work at all on my device, so I have no idea how it is done there.

BritTim 8 Jan 2017 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grhm (Post 598763)
It is very simple to move files between folders in the Classic interface.
Just check the boxes next to the files you want to move, and then click on the button marked << next to the folder you want to move them to.
The new interface doesn't work at all on my device, so I have no idea how it is done there.

Thank you. That is correct (and works the same way in the current interface which, for the File interface, borrows the classic interface code.

dsemf 8 Jan 2017 03:25 AM

Moving a file actually works, just a little confusing at first:
  1. Click on the box to select the file you want to move.
  2. Click on the << icon next to the destination folder in the folder sidebar (ignore the more actions dropdown).
You can also do the same thing to folders. Any content within folder moves with the folder.

DS

Grhm 8 Jan 2017 03:46 AM

Yes, and if you select 'copy to folder' from the dropdown, the << button copies, rather than moves, the selected items into the folder.

fmail_fan 8 Jan 2017 03:54 AM

So it is. Thank you. Maybe it's me, but I think this UI could use some 21st century updating.

Grhm 8 Jan 2017 05:07 AM

No, it's you!

fmail_fan 9 Jan 2017 08:39 PM

To be clear, I mean the Files interface. And gallery too (see other thread) but I understand that's not an email thing so priority is low.

Cox 9 Jan 2017 11:09 PM

The file interface is already in the making. See this thread, you can see the changes on the beta website.

fmail_fan 10 Jan 2017 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cox (Post 598807)
The file interface is already in the making. See this thread, you can see the changes on the beta website.

Cool, thanks. Looking much better. A remake of the entire Files interface (websites, etc.) will really be nice. Think I'll work with the production UI for now tho...;)

Grhm 10 Jan 2017 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cox (Post 598807)

NO! What fresh Hell is this?