EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   FastMail Forum (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Downloading attached jpg to iOS Photos App (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=73899)

ellentk 23 Aug 2018 01:17 AM

Downloading attached jpg to iOS Photos App

A while ago, there was a thread about the limitations of the download button.
Is this still a problem or am I missing something when I try to download an
attached jpg to iOS Photos?

The download button turns the jpg to a pdf, cutting off some of the image,
and gives no option for copying to Photos that I could find.

I tried unsuccessfully with fastmail's iOS app and by going to the website.

Any help, most appreciated.

Ellen

Berenburger 23 Aug 2018 03:47 AM

Ellen, I tried this myself in the FM IOS app. When I press Download then the www.fastmailusercontent.com screen opens, displaying the image. Then a long press on the image saves the image to Photos. On the other hand when I click on View in the FM app and next a long press on the image, the app crashed. :mad: Did you really used the Download button?

ellentk 23 Aug 2018 06:29 AM

Thanks for your reply.

If I double tap the word "download," the image is shown in www.fastmailusercontent.com.
And if I long press the image, a screen asks if I want to "save image" or "copy." I tapped save image
and the screen disappeared, but the image did not appear in Photos. I tried pressing
copy and the screen disappeared, but I don't know what to do with a copied photo in iOS or
where to find it.

Ellen

Berenburger 23 Aug 2018 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellentk (Post 607485)
The download button turns the jpg to a pdf, cutting off some of the image,
and gives no option for copying to Photos that I could find.

This is weird. The Photo app can’t display PDF’s, btw. How large is the photo? It seems not downloading successfully. Are you on a slow connection? Can you test with another mail with a photo attached?

ellentk 23 Aug 2018 09:55 AM

I just ran a few more tests. Conclusion is that a jpg can be saved as a pdf and copied to Acrobat.
I tested two small files. One was 127 KB the other 67 KB. (And the 67 KB file was the one that
started this.)

When the file I was testing came up in the fastmail app, I hit the square icon with the up pointing
arrow (what is that called?) and chose "Save as pdf" then I hit that icon again and chose "copy to
adobe acrobat." I had to hit the icon in this sequence or the choice to copy to acrobat didn't
appear, only to copy to ibooks (which is how I may have wound up with a truncated image when
I first tried to do this. I tried a lot of things quickly and don't recall the exact sequence.)

As long as I'm able to save jpgs this way, I'll settle for the workaround. The file I was trying to
save was text and didn't need to be in photos. I just needed to refer to it today when I was out.
In the future, if I want to add a jpg to iOS Photos, I'll continue using Dropbox. i actually thought
sending the file to myself as an attachment would be quicker. (Ha!) And I suppose I can get a
third party file manager app for this sort of thing.

But, is there a way to save a jpg that's emailed as an attachment to iOS Photos?

Berenburger 23 Aug 2018 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellentk (Post 607489)
But, is there a way to save a jpg that's emailed as an attachment to iOS Photos?

As I have described. Maybe another FM (and IOS) user can shine a light on this.

mballas 24 Aug 2018 01:25 AM

When I press download I get a dialogue to Save image or Copy. If I Save Image, a jpg of the image is immediately created in Photos, Collections, Today.

I can also create an image in the same location by using the iOS output icon below the photo in fastmailusercontent to Save Image

I have not created any pdfs using either method.

mballas 24 Aug 2018 01:32 AM

It sounds like you're not getting a Save Image choice that actually saves images.

ellentk 24 Aug 2018 09:34 AM

thanks, mballas. i just tried again. maybe i was long pressing wrong yesterday. it worked today. i tried it twice and only got the save image choice once but it saved the image both times. I also found a save image icon on the bottom row of options after clicking the export icon.

thanks too Berenburger.

I'm a bit less clueness now.

Ellen