EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   Email Help Needed! (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Need an SMTP server (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=69390)

ROBERT.BAK 12 Aug 2014 03:50 AM

Need an SMTP server

I'm using a program called DiskCheckup to monitor both my drives and those of my friend, whose machine is the file server and printer server for our network. Because he lives next door and upstairs from me, I want to have DiskCheckup email me whenever a problem occurs.

Unfortunately, DiskCheckup's email option doesn't support encryption (such as SSL); they say that they've looked at it, but it isn't trivial to implement. Hence I cannot use my Fastmail account for this, and need another SMTP server which will allow unencrypted sending. Preferably as cheap as possible, of course, since I won't be using it for anything else.

janusz 12 Aug 2014 04:19 AM

Get a free account @inmail.sk (English interface available). Their SMTP server doesn't need encryption (I believe it does not support encryption)

ROBERT.BAK 12 Aug 2014 05:46 AM

It didn't work, I reached the end of the registration process and got "Access Denied". :( I think registrations are only accepted from people in Slovakia, to judge by the available addresses in the "Address" dropdown...

janusz 12 Aug 2014 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBERT.BAK (Post 574948)
I think registrations are only accepted from people in Slovakia, to judge by the available addresses in the "Address" dropdown...

The last entry in the dropdown menu is "another country" or words to that effect.
But you are right, new registrations are impossible, whatever the reason.

kangas 12 Aug 2014 10:26 PM

LuxSci.com has an smtp-specific service called High Volume. It does permit you to send without SSL/TLS if you require it. Its not recommended, but in some cases it is needed.

See:

http://luxsci.com/extranet/high-volume-smtp-email.html

jeffpan 13 Aug 2014 10:57 AM

or give a try on Pobox?

GeraldR 14 Aug 2014 03:44 AM

Does the ISP offer an SMTP server for their customers?

What OS is it running? A local SMTP server using FM as a smarthost may be possible.

robert@fm 14 Aug 2014 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeraldR (Post 574992)
Does the ISP offer an SMTP server for their customers?

I am on Three UK. I have checked my account page, and as far as I can see they only offer internet access; absolutely no other services whatsoever.

GeraldR 14 Aug 2014 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robert@fm (Post 574997)
I am on Three UK. I have checked my account page, and as far as I can see they only offer internet access; absolutely no other services whatsoever.

Does smtp.three.co.uk or smtp-mbb.three.co.uk work for sending outgoing mail from Three?

EmailHosting 15 Aug 2014 11:32 PM

SMTP Server

Can't you just do it without SSL if they don't support it?

robert@fm 18 Aug 2014 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmailHosting (Post 575054)
Can't you just do it without SSL if they don't support it?

Not on Fastmail. They don't even support StartTLS; it has to be SSL.

paul29 19 Aug 2014 12:11 PM

Can you run an SSL proxy on the client side? It may even be possible to configure stunnel for this, though the usual setup is the other way.

kijinbear 19 Aug 2014 10:35 PM

Try an email sending service like Mandrill. They're free up to 12,000 emails per month, and they doesn't require SSL on their SMTP servers. I use Mandrill to send automated alerts from my website, so DiskCheckup should be just fine, too.

jdtaylor 20 Aug 2014 08:46 PM

Hi,

Try looking for post cast free if you are using a PC / mac as that will act as your own SMTP server. To my knowledge three did have an SMTP server years back when they gave out free email so I don't know what the situation is now that's stopped.