EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   Email Help Needed! (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Thunderbird Does Not Accept New att.net Password (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=79316)

artmanphoto 8 Oct 2022 06:19 AM

Thunderbird Does Not Accept New att.net Password

I THINK THIS IS SOLVED.

I recently created what att.net calls a secure mail key which is a very long "alphabetic" att.net generated "password" that needs to be used with email clients that are NOT 0AUTH2 compliant instead of a "normal" password that is created by the email user.

Although I tried using the att.net secure mail key yesterday when this problem started and it didn't work. I just tried using the secure mail key again to log in to att.net and I was successful. I have always be able to use my normal password before.

My question now: IS THUNDERBIRD 102.3.2 64bit 0AUTH2 COMPLIANT? I thought is was because previously my own pasword always worked.

Can someone please answer this question? Thanks very much.

I am using Thunderbird 102.3.2 64bit on a Windows 10 PC with an AT&T (att.net) IMAP account.

Everything was working perfect until I changed my att.net password to maintain security. When I open Thunderbird it asks me for the new password. I enter the new password and check the box to use password manager to remember password. When I click OK there is a delay when Thunderbird tries to log in then a message appears saying "login into server imap.mail.att.net with username *my email address" failed.

In the extreme upper left corner of the screen next to where it says Inbox and my att.net address there is a small blue dot that constantly moves back and forth right to left.

Since I changed my att.net password I have not been able to log in with Thunderbird. I am confident I am using the new password because I can successfully log in to my att.net email through the att.com website. I also checked my Thunderbird server settings and they have not changed and are correct.

For my iPhone and iPad I am using the Spark email app by Readdle. Since I changed my att.net password the Spark email app will not work on these two devices. When I enter my "new" password and the server information there is an authentication error.

As I mentioned above I am sure the new password is good because I can log into the att.net website and use web mail to send and receive my emails.

I am totally frustrated and clueless how to fix this problem so I can once again use Thunderbird (and my iPhone and iPad).

I would really appreciate any help and ideas the forum members can give me. Thanks!

Bill

emoore 8 Oct 2022 08:10 AM

OAuth2 works with my Yahoo and Gmail accounts using 64 bit Thunderbird 102.3.2.

It sounds like you wanted to use a application specific password instead of OAuth2, but accidentally used your normal password instead. That's not going to work.