EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   FastMail Forum (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   continuing to move away from g (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=74164)

rscaramelo 6 Feb 2019 10:29 PM

continuing to move away from g

Hi,
I have bounced around a lot trying different email providers and have always come back to FM/POBox. Is it possible to almost completely leave google? I don't have office and have used google docs for word processing, spreadsheets, etc. Is there an alternative that isn't one of the 2 biggies?
Thanks

janusz 7 Feb 2019 03:00 AM

away from gmail or google products in general?

FredOnline 7 Feb 2019 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rscaramelo (Post 609098)
I don't have office and have used google docs for word processing, spreadsheets, etc. Is there an alternative that isn't one of the 2 biggies?

You haven't mentioned what form of access you use - a smartphone, a tablet, a computer, etc?

I have no need to create/edit documents/spreadsheets on my 'phone or tablet, but I do use LibreOffice on my laptops (Linux & Windows) which is perfect for my needs.

rscaramelo 7 Feb 2019 04:39 AM

Sorry I wasn't too specific. I need something cross platform and cloud based. I use Windows 10 on the laptop but have an iphone and an ipad. Something on that would work on the laptops and ipad would be ideal.

Would like to phase out google as much as possible.

Thanks,
RC

BritTim 7 Feb 2019 05:25 AM

To a large degree, it depends whether you use the collaboration features in your office suite, or just need something that works cross platform. It also depends on the complexity of documents and spreadsheets you create.

If your needs are fairly vanilla, file sharing services other than Google and Microsoft are certainly available, and products supporting Microsoft or ODF (LibreOffice) formats can be found for all your devices. That would be coupled with your choice of email and calendaring solution. That said, Google and Office 365 are widely used because they have some compelling features.

rscaramelo 7 Feb 2019 05:34 AM

Simple and vanilla is exactly what I need as long as it can read office docs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BritTim (Post 609109)
To a large degree, it depends whether you use the collaboration features in your office suite, or just need something that works cross platform. It also depends on the complexity of documents and spreadsheets you create.

If your needs are fairly vanilla, file sharing services other than Google and Microsoft are certainly available, and products supporting Microsoft or ODF (LibreOffice) formats can be found for all your devices. That would be coupled with your choice of email and calendaring solution. That said, Google and Office 365 are widely used because they have some compelling features.

EricG 7 Feb 2019 05:39 AM

Zoho is an Office Online clone, supporting all the major browsers. Free for personal use.

Office Online is also free, as are the Android and iOS apps. Premium features require Office 365.

TenFour 7 Feb 2019 09:44 AM

IMHO, if you need to "read office docs" and you don't want to use Google services you are best off using Office 365 online, though the free online versions Microsoft offers with a free Outlook.com account can work if your needs are simple. The free online versions of Word and Excel work quite well and Outlook.com is a very good alternative to Gmail.

rscaramelo 8 Feb 2019 12:41 AM

I think I figured out what to do. I can use the online versions of Pages and Numbers. There's extensions for the browsers too for these. I have iCloud on my computer as well even though it's Windows. I have an iPad and iPhone so I am using their stuff already.