EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   FastMail Forum (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   FM's unique offerings - (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=24480)

s a 22 Jul 2004 10:57 AM

FM's unique offerings -

i'm trying to focus on what FM offers that no other webmail provider does - this may be rather restrictive so feel free to contribute items that are RARE (and where else they occur).

i'll set the ball rolling;

Jeremy Howard 22 Jul 2004 02:15 PM

Auto-selection of personality when replying.
Auto-filing of POP links.
Independent forum supported by company founders (Runbox has this too :) )

bitequator 22 Jul 2004 02:34 PM

Very versatile envelope (and custom header) support in Sieve.

Some other providers have a mail rules filter section that only supports To/Cc for recipient checking (thus not 100%). And usually a separate control panel for virtual domain alias forwarding which cannot take advantage of filtering rules (nor antivirus/antispam checking in many cases).

FastMail also has the virtual domain alias control panel (with antivirus checking), but commendably its Sieve filtering doesn't compromise in this area either. So I can happily continue to use the power of Sieve for recipient checking.

I haven't tried Tuffmail so I'm not sure if it is the same way with them?

Ref1, Ref2 (my own recent posts, sorry)

P.S. Some mail rules filtering at other providers already support message body though.

bitequator 22 Jul 2004 02:46 PM

Oh I forgot about the auto-personality when replying, that's a great one :)

Quote:

Originally posted by Jeremy Howard
Auto-filing of POP links.
This in turn reminds me of the POP access to specific subfolders (which s a already linked to). Very useful (I believe Runbox still supports it too).

As kander had suggested we can even set up POPLinks to POP back into the account to specific folders as a means to do auto-deletion of older messages...

Edit: hadaso also described the possibilities offered by this feature!

s a 22 Jul 2004 03:14 PM

Redirect to people

one of my favorite features

hadaso 22 Jul 2004 03:16 PM

I really don't know every provider on earth, but one of the main reasons for me choosing FastMail is the support for certain character encodings I use.

Fastmail allows the choice of a default character encoding (from a long list of charsets) that is used for both sending email and displaying received email unless the received message specifies a different encoding.

Also, FastMail allows manual editing of the HTML in HTML mail.

JasonEMD 22 Jul 2004 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bitequator
[b]Oh I forgot about the auto-personality when replying, that's a great one :)
Yahoo! has this as well for addresses made from AddressGuard and POP retrieval, both only available in Y!Mail Plus. While pop retrieval comes free with the standard Y! account, sending mail using the POP address is not.

I only just noticed this feature recently.:)

David 22 Jul 2004 03:23 PM

I know of no other webmail company that allows you to utilize the Autoformat module.

s a 22 Jul 2004 03:27 PM

HTML composition in Mozilla (Runbox too).

s a 22 Jul 2004 03:34 PM

• Delete Folder = messages automatically moved to Inbox (i would expect all providers to do this - rather surprising that they don't).
  • "Infected file rejected" - Notification

Gankaku 22 Jul 2004 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by s a

Redirect to people

one of my favorite features

Hey! I was going to post that! You beat me to it.

Here's mine: any user can make their own stylesheet, with the potential of having it added to the Fastmail interface for all the world to see and use.

tsang 23 Jul 2004 02:06 AM

my 200th post

Detaching attached mails.

mcowger 23 Jul 2004 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by hadaso
I really don't know every provider on earth, but one of the main reasons for me choosing FastMail is the support for certain character encodings I use.

Fastmail allows the choice of a default character encoding (from a long list of charsets) that is used for both sending email and displaying received email unless the received message specifies a different encoding.

Also, FastMail allows manual editing of the HTML in HTML mail.

Wow, thats something I'never even used, heard of or even needed. Always amazes me - you meet all kinds of people on the internet.

Mugwhamp 23 Jul 2004 02:17 AM

Re: my 200th post

Quote:

Originally posted by tsang
Detaching attached mails.
I didn't think this feature was available yet. That is, can I now delete an attachment from an email I want to keep? How do I do it?

tsang 23 Jul 2004 02:26 AM

Re: Re: my 200th post

Quote:

Originally posted by Mugwhamp
I didn't think this feature was available yet. That is, can I now delete an attachment from an email I want to keep? How do I do it?
The detached mail will then be found in the inbox as a separate mail; but the attachment is not deleted.
However, if the the attached mail is all the original mail contains,
one may as well delete the original mail while just keeping the detached attached mail.
Especially if the attached mail is buried in several layers.