EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Tuffmail - time to move on (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=69146)

pin 17 Jun 2014 11:56 PM

Tuffmail - time to move on

Hi all,

It has been a loooong time since I last posted, still pop in now and again to catch up on the world of email ;) This is a testament to how well I have been served by Tuffmail since joining in 2006. However, I feel it's long past the time to change.

There are a number of reasons for this, there has been no development of the service for a very long time, support seems to have gone down hill since John sold the service and a small issue I have had with paying by PayPal has been on-going for what must be two years and that does not fill me with confidence.

I have a feeling that all may not be well at Tuffmail and as I have the time over the next few weeks to make the change I may as well get started!

My email setup with Tuffmail consists of two domains, 4 mailboxes with 2GB of storage shared between them. I would like to move to something which is at very least similar, ideally with more storage and the option to add another couple of mailboxes for little cost.

I currently pay $72 a year and could do with reducing this as much as possible ;) I have seen EuMX, Gandi, Zoho and Polarismail mentioned on the forum. Can anyone offer their experiences of these services or suggest any alternatives that I have missed that would be worth taking a look at?

Thanks all!

David 18 Jun 2014 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pin (Post 572723)
I currently pay $72 a year and could do with reducing this as much as possible ;) I have seen EuMX, Gandi, Zoho and Polarismail mentioned on the forum. Can anyone offer their experiences of these services or suggest any alternatives that I have missed that would be worth taking a look at?

Having used: Fastmail, PolarisMail, and EuMX, in the past, I will recommend all of them. I am currently using 'Runbox' and will recommend them also.

Fastmail and Runbox (both) have forums here at EmailDiscussions, where you can receive ongoing information and updates about these services.

PolarisMail and EuMX also have representatives here, who are forum members, who often login to answer questions and concerns.

I have not used Gandi or Zoho.

It is sad that Tuffmail is deteriorating. I used them myself (when John was in charge of the company) - it was dead solid perfect at that time.

Cheers

David

William9 18 Jun 2014 02:09 AM

I agree with David. A year or so ago, I moved my domains for which Tuffmail was providing email services to RunBox. I've been satisfied with RunBox. The staff is very responsive. The interface and technical options are entirely different compared to Tuffmail, but they get the job done. The service that I continue to be the most satisfied with is LuxSci, but you will have to pay more than $72 per year.

soromak 18 Jun 2014 04:35 AM

Quote:

Hi all,

It has been a loooong time since I last posted, still pop in now and again to catch up on the world of email ;) This is a testament to how well I have been served by Tuffmail since joining in 2006. However, I feel it's long past the time to change.

There are a number of reasons for this, there has been no development of the service for a very long time, support seems to have gone down hill since John sold the service and a small issue I have had with paying by PayPal has been on-going for what must be two years and that does not fill me with confidence.

I have a feeling that all may not be well at Tuffmail and as I have the time over the next few weeks to make the change I may as well get started!

My email setup with Tuffmail consists of two domains, 4 mailboxes with 2GB of storage shared between them. I would like to move to something which is at very least similar, ideally with more storage and the option to add another couple of mailboxes for little cost.

Thanks all!

Have tried both Fastmail and Runbox as well, but lack of contact sync with mobile devices and my storage needs pushed me to look elsewhere. I am very satisfied with EuMX, great value for money and rock solid service with a very responsive support, but everything depends on your needs. I think Polarismail is worth to consider as well.

aleinss 18 Jun 2014 10:24 AM

Funny you should post this...I've been with Tuffmail since November 2005 and I am moving on as well. I went to change my password after eBay was hacked last month since I use the same password for my e-mail account (I now use Keepass and will make all my passwords different as time goes on). Couldn't do it. Contacted Derek and his response was prompt, but he changed my admin back into a "user page" that was very basic. I was, however, able to change my password from this simplified page. I then asked him to change it back to my normal admin page which he promptly did.

He seems to be in the "keep the lights on" mode and doesn't seem to be upgrading or improving anything. If the outside of the house isn't painted, I can only guess what's inside the house. Anyways, I moved my e-mail hosting to my web provider Eleven2 since e-mail access automatically comes with my hosting package. I think I am grandfathered under Sharkspace's old plan, but basically it's $4.75/month for web, ftp and e-mail...20GB of disk space, 500GB of bandwidth and unlimited e-mail boxes and aliases. Roughly $57/year. It took me a day or two to setup the forwarders, filter rules and import all my old e-mail. I HATE the new Horde email version they are using there, so I switched to Roundcube and that seems OK.

The two annoying things are I get a bit more spam than Tuffmail and it doesn't seem to have auto-refresh like Tuffmail did. I can live with these annoyances and so far...everything is working.

Berenburger 18 Jun 2014 08:16 PM

Quote:

Another suggestion: Rollernet. Like Tuffmail it has a comprehensive account control center.

ioneja 18 Jun 2014 10:39 PM

Also sad to see Tuffmail stagnate. I used them in the past as well, and under John, Tuffmail was pretty much perfect. I agree with other posts here in this thread -- I'm currently using FastMail (although their support response time leaves something to be desired), Luxsci (love these guys, more expensive, but best support on Earth), and I'm warming up to Runbox as well (just hoping they get 2FA implemented soon). Best of luck with your transition. Many folks in this fine forum will give you good advice should you need help.

soromak 18 Jun 2014 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ioneja (Post 572781)
Also sad to see Tuffmail stagnate. I used them in the past as well, and under John, Tuffmail was pretty much perfect. I agree with other posts here in this thread -- I'm currently using FastMail (although their support response time leaves something to be desired), Luxsci (love these guys, more expensive, but best support on Earth), and I'm warming up to Runbox as well (just hoping they get 2FA implemented soon). Best of luck with your transition. Many folks in this fine forum will give you good advice should you need help.

Tuffmail do not even bother to update servers with security patches. Just check webmail.tuffmail.net at SSLlabs webpage...

randian 19 Jun 2014 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berenburger (Post 572769)
Another suggestion: Rollernet. Like Tuffmail it has a comprehensive account control center.

Rollernet is interesting, if a bit expensive. Paying for a bucket of bandwidth and storage and getting unlimited domains/mailboxes is a nice business model though.

I see they recently added DNSSEC support to their included DNS services, which is great. Still waiting for Fastmail to offer that. They don't appear to have pushbutton DNS config for hosted domains.

A couple of years ago their forum mentioned preliminary Activesync support via Z-Push, though their mail services page doesn't mention it. It's not clear if it's an official feature.

pin 21 Jun 2014 01:24 AM

It's interesting to read all of your comments. I remember many moons ago that Runbox had regular reliability issues but it's pleasing to see that they have got back on track. They have always been on my consider list (due to their constant participation on this forum in fact) and I notice their pricing is much more competitive now than it used to be for a user with my needs.

aleinss, my experience is much as you describe. I have an automatic setup for quarterly payments and my most recent bill of 13th Jun has not been taken by them as it normally would - it just shows as payment overdue on my account. No changes have been made to my credit card (nor have I received a payment failed message) so i don't know what's going on with them.

However, I have spent a few days investigating the following:
  • Zoho - Their forum is currently full of people complaining about service issues and the support team there just seem to keep posting that the service is up and running ok when people are obviously still having issues. That has put me right off them.
  • Gandi - I have had issues registering a domain with them and I haven't been particularly impressed with the speed or quality of their support.
  • Eumx - Seems like just what i'm after - the service reminds me of Tuffmail in that it's powerful but rather confusing. I have received a gift account and am having a play but i seem to be having a number of issues (i'm not sure my account is configured correctly).

So it looks like Eumx is the way to go. However, I am finding it a bit like pulling teeth. I don't quite understand their family packages as they are not shown anywhere on the site and so I am having to send them constant questions. It would make more sense if the updated their packages page.

FredOnline 21 Jun 2014 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pin (Post 572887)
So it looks like Eumx is the way to go. However, I am finding it a bit like pulling teeth.

I think we all here on the forum with EuMX accounts can empathise.

Sure, EuMX is a great product, but . . .

At the end of the day, when it comes down to reliability and the need to be able to quickly contact a knowledgeable human to solve any problem, especially if you have the needs of a family or SOHO to satisfy, you may need to look elsewhere.

As you are the same side of the pond as me (a few miles down the road, in fact!) I would IMHO suggest Runbox could most probably fulfil your needs.

soromak 21 Jun 2014 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredOnline (Post 572895)
I think we all here on the forum with EuMX accounts can empathise.

Sure, EuMX is a great product, but . . .

At the end of the day, when it comes down to reliability and the need to be able to quickly contact a knowledgeable human to solve any problem, especially if you have the needs of a family or SOHO to satisfy, you may need to look elsewhere.

As you are the same side of the pond as me (a few miles down the road, in fact!) I would IMHO suggest Runbox could most probably fulfil your needs.

Do not want to start a flame..but Runbox more reliable than EuMX? Conclusion based on?
I do agree it is a lot easier to manage for an unexperienced user at the moment....but EuMX have new management tools in the works...and plethora of other features not available at Runbox...support is also pretty decent.
greetings from a former BN postcode occupant :) and now living near RB headquaters :)

adamlau 21 Jun 2014 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pin (Post 572887)
I don't quite understand [EUMX] family packages...

Family accounts are bundles of discounted standard accounts. Four accounts will run you $36 per year, seven at $56.

FredOnline 21 Jun 2014 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soromak (Post 572897)
Do not want to start a flame..but Runbox more reliable than EuMX? Conclusion based on?

Not based purely on reliability, if you re-read my post.

In tandem with fast support.

randian 21 Jun 2014 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamlau (Post 572898)
Family accounts are bundles of discounted standard accounts. Four accounts will run you $36 per year, seven at $56.

It's a great deal for the money. Note EuMX has no management interface. You can't manage users (create/destroy/lockout accounts, change passwords) yourself you have to email support to do it. Being separate accounts, they all have separate quotas, and EuMX's quotas are substantial. It's a shame you can't, for example, share file storage quota between them. I'd also like EuMX to upgrade Dovecot to use Maildir format mailboxes.