EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   About this site... (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Forum Testimonials (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=9038)

admiralu 19 Nov 2002 06:05 AM

Forum Testimonials

I have noted that other email forums here have a testimonials section. Why not one for our forum itself?

I discoverd this forum when Visto.com went under and FastMail was an alternate email mentioned. Since then, I have met many new wonderful people from around the world, learned about great new sites and features and had a great time reading the interesting posts. Thanks to Edwin for creating this home on the web where we can share our experiences, suggestions and ideas. I am proud to be a member here! :cool:

lux 19 Nov 2002 03:35 PM

This forum is great!!!

Edwin 19 Nov 2002 03:36 PM

I've made this thread sticky, so that it can be the "official" testimonials thread...

JeffK 19 Nov 2002 05:14 PM

The forum is funtastic...my most often accessed site (other than Fastmail)

Jeff

admiralu 20 Nov 2002 01:44 AM

Why Thank You!

Quote:

Originally posted by Edwin
I've made this thread sticky, so that it can be the "official" testimonials thread...
Thank you Edwin! I thought we should have a spot to brag on the forum itself! :D

psalzer 20 Nov 2002 12:06 PM

I wandered in here almost a year ago and sometimes it seems like I haven't logged off yet. I'm on here way, way too much and I never get tired of it.

In a few weeks, I'm leaving the job I've been at for the last 9 years, because the job is moving across the country and I'm staying where I am. I think I have the next job lined up, and it's either not going to include internet access at all, or certainly not the freedom to hang out on a forum a good part of the day. I'll be checking in at night and on the weekends, but I'm sure going to miss being able drop in whenever I want to.

Gankaku 20 Nov 2002 01:15 PM

Yep, I like this forum

This forum is sometimes like a soap opera. It's kind of funny. :)

I spend way too much time here but it is definitely fun time.

redmyrlin 21 Nov 2002 12:34 AM

I spend a good deal of my time working away from home. Since I found this forum some 8 months ago it has played a large part in keeping me entertained during the long and lonely nights on the road. :)

CyberSmurf 8 Dec 2002 06:55 AM

It's a good place to share and to pick up tips.

It's the only forum that I currently participate in.

Adam Lachlan 15 Dec 2002 11:45 PM

This forum rocks! It's my first email forum I posted in and will definately be my last. ;)

kchess79 16 Dec 2002 11:50 AM

I am not the most web savvy person in the world. I'm 'intermediate', I guess...I can find my way around the web, look up info, know most of the internet techical terms, etc. But there are a lot of things I don't know. However, I know that when I DO have an internet-related question, I can come here and I don't have to worry about being mocked. I am sick of going to forums, posting questions, and getting, "You don't know THAT? What's wrong with you?/You're a moron!"

So, I appreciate all the help here...I really do!

psalzer 16 Dec 2002 12:32 PM

I agree. You don't feel you have to be defensive here at all. It's a nice community and full of people who know all kinds of stuff and will share.

admiralu 17 Dec 2002 01:34 AM

It is a Great Place

That is so true about many forums. People should not mock others for asking a question, that's how we learn. I love reading about new goodies here! ;)

fastashell 15 Jan 2003 03:14 PM

A funny thing happened on the way to the ....

Chalk me up as another happy forum user.

COUME 27 Feb 2003 07:53 PM

How come He never post here!

Eh,
what a surprise, I browsing the testimonial thread I discovered that I did not give my thumb up for this site!

Thanks to it, I have discover both FM and Runbox and seriously, people out there are nice and friendly!
A very good forum, should have more like this on one on the Internet....

Ludo

Shazzer 6 Mar 2003 07:45 PM

Great community!

I've been an avid reader of this forum for a LONG time but not so active about posting...something I've become a little more committed to lately. (Basically I'm tired of "junior member" status among a group of people that I feel I know well!) The info and assistance available here is unlike anything I've come across any where else on the web. Kudos to everyone involved!

6 Mar 2003 08:01 PM

This forum is great :) :cool: Even though I have only started posting since the start of this year, I first found this forum in 2000, when my email provider shutdown. It has helped me find new email providers, as well as getting an early warning on the ones that were closing down.

I think these forums are great for people who are tired of their email provider, and want to find a new one. Everyone is willing to let you know what they think of an email service, the postive and the negative points. Even the most experienced members of the forum are willing to help out new members with their enquiries.
I think its great that the two best email services, Runbox and Fastmail have their own forums. They are second to none in customer support, demonstrated by the helpful posts you see every day.

Congratulations to emailaddresses.com, runbox and fastmail and best wishes for the future :)

-Stormcrow-

JeffK 11 Mar 2003 08:57 PM

I will take this opportunity, on the day I became a cornerstone of the community, to thank Edwin and all forum members for the help, advice and good will which has greeted me here. Even though not all my 500 posts have been useful I have thoroughly enjoyed my participation over the last year.

The forums are a great place to get a hold on email issues and questions.

Best wishes,

Jeff

teacher 14 Mar 2003 04:21 AM

I just want to say that this is one of the best sites and forums I have been on for layout and ease of use. All the help given by everyone is outstanding.

Since having this site recommended to me, I have in turn recommended it to all of my students.

Thanks Guys!!!!

:D

Spin 15 Mar 2003 05:38 AM

Awesome Site!

I have been on this forum for a while and recently signed up (in December). This site has helped me find Runbox. And to explore the pros and cons of other email providers as well. Without this site I dont know what I would do. I want to thank Edwin expecially for putting together such a great forum. Thanks Everyone and have an awesome weekend.

Spin

anj 15 Mar 2003 06:00 AM

I cannot praise this forum enough. Only a few of its merits:

1. The moderation
Firm and responsive. A rare combination. Inappropriate posts are removed or redirected to a more appropriate place. Yet, member input is given due consideration.

2. The advertising and posting policies
Forums with obtrusive ads and ad-like posts start to loose their credibility and usefullness.

3. The community here
The people here are truly helpful and straightforward.

4. The interface and features
Some aspects of organization could be improved, but 99% of what exists is easy and options are clear.

I could go on... in short, this forum feels like a place and not just an interface.

kander 20 Apr 2003 03:33 AM

I remember when I first came here... had a little problem with Fastmail. Soon started checking the FM forum more regularly for updates... became involved, helped answer a question or two, became more involved, found out about the life on other forums, and became hooked.

Everybody here is friendly, and those who feel they have a mission in life to ruin other people's life are swiftly shown the way out. I also feel that I needn't be afraid to ask something others might see as obvious, something which I really like. On some other Forums you're supposed to be a full expert before you're ven allowed to ask a question :-/

May this Forum live long and prosper!

--K

admiralu 30 Apr 2003 08:14 AM

I Agree

And may its members also live long and prosper as well! :cool:

Gankaku 12 May 2003 10:52 PM

I just had an experience on another forum. I'd posted there for a little guidance in the right direction for something I need to do. This very arrogant person came back with something like "You can't do this, because if you're asking this it means you can't and won't be able to do this." to which I responded with Abraham Lincoln's "Determine that the thing can and shall be done, and then we shall find the way." :p

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this forum because anyone can come here with the biggest questionmark in their head and get pointed to the right direction. A little friendly help goes a long way.

kander 13 May 2003 01:59 AM

Hey Lisa,

I so agree to that.. I can't stand it when people are like that... I've had similar experiences on a few forums.

--K

DBH 13 May 2003 02:07 AM

It's too bad some people are like that. Why do they think people sign up for forums? To receive help as well as offer it. That's the whole idea! :)

redmyrlin 13 May 2003 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by DBH
It's too bad some people are like that. Why do they think people sign up for forums? To receive help as well as offer it. That's the whole idea! :)
Surely not! and I thought the whole idea was to have a place to demonstrate my superiority over those who clearly know less than I. :D ;)

DBH 13 May 2003 02:22 AM

:D :D :D

Gankaku 13 May 2003 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by redmyrlin
Surely not! and I thought the whole idea was to have a place to demonstrate my superiority over those who clearly know less than I. :D ;)
:-D Are we just spoiled on this forum? I have heard the horror stories about other forums, and finally found out for myself... Here the moderation can be strict, but also people jump in when others are being too harsh. It's a balance.

redmyrlin 13 May 2003 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Gankaku
:-D Are we just spoiled on this forum? ...
I must say, in all honesty, that of the many forums I frequent, this is the one I enjoy the most. We are really privileged to have this community. :cool:

Adam Lachlan 14 May 2003 09:08 AM

I agree. Edwin is firm but fair. And all the best moderators are like that. I, for one, have been greatly inspired by the moderation and Edwin's administration of EMD and have a heavy influence of it in my own forum!

Apologies if I have said this already but the moderation of this forum must never go uncongratulated! (I only hope I'm not violating rule J with this post:D).

kander 22 Aug 2003 10:57 AM

1000 :)

Ladies, Gentlemen, Boys, Girls, Undefineds,

I want to thank you all. Each and every one of you. I realize that there are many among these forums that I don't know as well as I would want to, and that there are those that I almost know better than I know some of the people I have to interact with in daily life...

It's been quite a while since I first wandered onto these boards, a clueless newbie looking out into the world of e-mail with big eyes full of wonder. Now today I am placing my 1000th post here, still big-eyed, but less clueless.

I can't remember ever doing that on any other Forum, so it's gotta be something about these Forums that make me keep on coming back every day. Is it perhaps the good and sound advice I can get here on just about any aspect of my e-mail experience? Is it perhaps the speedful manner in which problems with trolls and other malfactors are dealt with? Could be... but one thing I know for sure: It's mostly because of YOU that I am here, the people.

Here are a few shout-outs to some of the people I have met on these Forums, and to whom I feel somehow grateful for being here.

First of all Jeremy Howard, the guy we all know and like (and some perhaps even love ;) ). Thanks for creating FastMail, the best mailprovider this side of Alpha Centauri, and establishing contact between FM HQ and the EMD Forums...

Rob Mueller, also for creating FastMail, and for solving problems with the service, and the millions of little tweaks.

FMFan: Thanks for your friendship, Bill!

Mammaduck: A fellow 'Dutchie', thanks for the evenings of rummicub and Hearts!

Robert@fm: As long as you don't start tossing those aces across the table :)

Elvey: Who is to me an example of a true WikiMaster, sharp in mind and wit, knowledgable on seemingly everything.

Stormcrow: Dan, you're not around very long, but you've already become part of what makes these Forums what they are! (Not to mention the fact that you brought back fond memories of threads long forgotten ;) )

Gankaku: Lisa, Thanks for your great advice! The flax seed helped a lot! It's looking much better now! I'm also looking forward to seeing some more stylesheets if you've got the inspiration to do some, they're all great!

And all the people, big and small, new and old... THANKS!!!

And not to forget the one man without who's tireless efforts this all wouldn't have been possible. He is to me a shining example in a world of trolls and cross-posters, a rock in the flood of commercials, shelter in the storm of vulgarity... he is our host for tonight: Edwin Hayward! THANKS go out to you too, Edwin!

I hope you'll all keep posting!

Cheers,

--K
Kander
Master of the @

mammaduck 30 Aug 2003 05:50 AM

Kander, what a truly nice post !!

I have been a member of this forum since early last year but didn't start posting regularly till a few months ago.

Before I started to post I was already coming here too often. I have been around the internet for almost 7 years now and have come across many, many forums. This one is the best :)

Thank you Edwin, for doing such a wonderful job and thanks to a lot of members (you know who you are :)) for making this forum such a friendly and welcoming place.

Hanneke

Adam Lachlan 30 Aug 2003 07:15 AM

Re: 1000 :)

Quote:

Originally posted by kander
Ladies, Gentlemen, Boys, Girls, Undefineds,

I want to thank you all. Each and every one of you. I realize that there are many among these forums that I don't know as well as I would want to, and that there are those that I almost know better than I know some of the people I have to interact with in daily life...

It's been quite a while since I first wandered onto these boards, a clueless newbie looking out into the world of e-mail with big eyes full of wonder. Now today I am placing my 1000th post here, still big-eyed, but less clueless.

I can't remember ever doing that on any other Forum, so it's gotta be something about these Forums that make me keep on coming back every day. Is it perhaps the good and sound advice I can get here on just about any aspect of my e-mail experience? Is it perhaps the speedful manner in which problems with trolls and other malfactors are dealt with? Could be... but one thing I know for sure: It's mostly because of YOU that I am here, the people.

Here are a few shout-outs to some of the people I have met on these Forums, and to whom I feel somehow grateful for being here.

First of all Jeremy Howard, the guy we all know and like (and some perhaps even love ;) ). Thanks for creating FastMail, the best mailprovider this side of Alpha Centauri, and establishing contact between FM HQ and the EMD Forums...

Rob Mueller, also for creating FastMail, and for solving problems with the service, and the millions of little tweaks.

FMFan: Thanks for your friendship, Bill!

Mammaduck: A fellow 'Dutchie', thanks for the evenings of rummicub and Hearts!

Robert@fm: As long as you don't start tossing those aces across the table :)

Elvey: Who is to me an example of a true WikiMaster, sharp in mind and wit, knowledgable on seemingly everything.

Stormcrow: Dan, you're not around very long, but you've already become part of what makes these Forums what they are! (Not to mention the fact that you brought back fond memories of threads long forgotten ;) )

Gankaku: Lisa, Thanks for your great advice! The flax seed helped a lot! It's looking much better now! I'm also looking forward to seeing some more stylesheets if you've got the inspiration to do some, they're all great!

And all the people, big and small, new and old... THANKS!!!

And not to forget the one man without who's tireless efforts this all wouldn't have been possible. He is to me a shining example in a world of trolls and cross-posters, a rock in the flood of commercials, shelter in the storm of vulgarity... he is our host for tonight: Edwin Hayward! THANKS go out to you too, Edwin!

I hope you'll all keep posting!

Cheers,

--K
Kander
Master of the @

Amen :)

jlnt 1 Oct 2003 02:54 AM

My Life

Well, when I am not on the forum, I am working on my own stuff. I am on this forum at all times during the day seeing what people are posting about the great email services, and putting in my part of help. Thank you Edwin for allowing me and my service to be apart of your great forum!

SusanUKF 2 Nov 2003 08:54 PM

Terrific forum-thanks everyone-so helpful!

I want to say a big thankyou to all the people who have helped me.I found out about this former from a member that I chat to on another board and I'm so happy he told me about it.I only joined a few days ago and everyone has been so kind,helpful and patient with me.Some of the people that helped me didn't want to be emailed so I've posted this general thankyou for them and to all those who have answered my posts and given me advice as to have to solve my problems with my fastmail account.It's still not resoved but Sherry has been working diligently to help me,she's been fantastic.She said she'll help me until we get this working properly--that is so kind and generous of her,I am very grateful.Every time I've posted so many reply with their ideas and helpful hints and I'm very pleased and proud to be part of such a wonderful group of individuals.Thankyou everyone!!!:D :) :D

Carefree Frank 3 Dec 2003 10:40 AM

I havnt been around for long, but my brief stay has been enjoyble. I dont claim to be completed clued up technically, but what I dont know, has been quickly answered by one of you friendly boys and girls. I`ve particularly enjoyed the off topic lounge, lots of great threads, and something I can join in with regularly.

Chipper 28 Dec 2003 04:14 AM

I have to heartily second the comments made (especially those made by anj and kander) regarding all aspects of the forums. :)

However, the one thing that definately stands out is the people: They have really been helpful with the questions I have had. :) :) :)

Gankaku -
* I like your Abraham Lincoln quote. I work as a computer programmer and whenever a user says, "Is it possible for the computer to do..." my response is "Anything is possible given enough time and resources." I might start using your quote because mine could be interpreted as "Anything is possible as long as you have deep enough pockets to pay for it." My mantra was is and continues to be, "Write the system for the users not for the programmers."

mbfw6 22 Nov 2004 02:14 AM

Much gratitude!

Hi y'all, I am new here,
Amen to everything that has been said ! My story is nasty -- I was a long-time subscriber to Yahoo and to Hotmail before that. Suddenly last Friday I was unable to compose messages on Yahoo. Also I was unable to delete anything! I attempted all weekend to use my email, but the same problems persisted. Now, my husband, sons and I have lived all over the world and four of our sons are deployed with the military. Obviously I depend on email to keep in touch with many folks. I also attempted to sign up with no less that six web-based email sites. NONE OF THEM WOULD ACCEPT ME.!! Either that or I could not send mail; and on two cases intended receipents never got the mail! Then I found you all. Thanks soooooomuch for being not only there but very neat, clean and efficient. Bless you all!!
Mary B.
PS: Why an I not able to use the smilies?
AdmiralU were you ever in the Navy?

hadaso 22 Nov 2004 06:42 AM

I've been around these forums for quite a long time. There were times when I spent several hours a day browsing the forums. Now I spend less time and come less often, but it is still my favourite place in the world wide web. I guess I learned a lot about email and lots of other things from the people in these forums. Now I spend more time learning other things in other places. There are many interesting places on the web, and many nice people to meet, but for me this forum is like family!