EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   The Off-Topic Lounge (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Meaning of user name? (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=9823)

robert@fm 19 Dec 2002 08:49 AM

Meaning of user name?

I got the idea for this thread from the LockerGnome Forums, and have already posted a similar one on the InkTank Forum. :D.

Here goes for my ID (copied from the second of those threads, why do it three times? ;)):

My first name is Robert.

I'm a user (and big fan) of FastMail.FM (who are actually an Australian company, they've got a Micronesian domain because FM is short for FastMail and also because .fm is cool :cool:_), hence @fm.

I was ROBERT.BAK for 12 years (my surname is Baker), but I got tired of it, and anyway few people use DOS these days, nor it seems does much software use the old .BAK extension for backup files anymore.

On the MailSnare forums it wouldn't be very tactful for me to use robert@fm, so over there I'm robert!@ms (as any C programmer will tell you, ! means "not").

My other old (InkTank and elsewhere) username of korax1214 (which I still use when I can't use robert@fm for whatever reason) comes from my MyDeja days; I was a big fan of Hexen, hence tried to sign up as Korax but of course that was already taken, and the signup procedure suggested korax1214 so I went with that.

(edit:  updated LockerGnome link because they've changed their forum software.)

(edit 2:  removed InkTank link because that thread, and indeed the entire board, has long-since been deleted.:()

Gankaku 19 Dec 2002 09:04 AM

Didn't we do this thread before? I forget but I tried to find it and couldn't so maybe not. :)

I use one of two IDs on forums. Gankaku for this one. It's a Shotokan karate kata (to test for black belt). It means "Crane on a Rock". It is my favorite kata.

The other ID I use on some forums recently is Stargazer...coz....I like gazing at stars in the sky. :) (Astronomy is my hobby/interest/"wanted to be one when I grew up" thing for me.)

Dave P in StLouis 20 Dec 2002 01:45 AM

Don't remember

Dear robert@fm & Gankaku,

I don't remember a thread like this one and I couldn't find one by searching either. I am nosy - er, I mean, curious - about some folks' user names. After all, they're not all self-explanatory like mine. ;)

Best wishes,
David P.

psalzer 20 Dec 2002 01:48 AM

Yours is not only self explanatory, it's detailed, Dave. :) Mine's first initial, last name, which I also use for most of my e-mail addresses.

JeffK 20 Dec 2002 03:33 AM

Yes I'm boring. I frequent several forums where the nicknames are sometimes bizarre. I've thought of using jnkool but that would imply that I think I'm a cool person, which I clearly am not with a moniker like JeffK.

:cool: jnkool :cool:

Dave P in StLouis 20 Dec 2002 05:35 AM

It seemed like a good idea at the time

Quote:

Originally posted by psalzer
Yours is not only self explanatory, it's detailed, Dave. :)
Dear psalzer,

Yeah, it has everything except my favorite color (yellow) and shoe size (13). I started using DaveP when I was still posting on a local bulletin board. When I signed up for the forum, the long version seemed like a good idea. If I could do it over again, I'd probably choose "Deep" or maybe "Deep End," both of which have my initials in them. Too bad we can't all be like FromLine and talk Edwin into letting us change our user names from time to time. ;)

Best wishes,
David P.

Boom 20 Dec 2002 06:16 AM

'Boom' is just the last word of my lastname. This is the only forum where I use this username. I mostly use jvdboom for everything even I have jvdboom.com
On delhiforums I use Janvdboom and my isp vdboom(there goes my anonymity).Jan is my first name and I have a 3-word lastname

kander 20 Dec 2002 08:42 PM

Heh

Good question...

Well, basically I'm Kander because my first name is Sander. When I tried to sign up somewhere, a long time ago, I chose my first name (yeah, I was still pretty much a n00b figuring that nobody else would have the same name as me). Well, it was taken. So I decided to just change one letter around with another, and there you have it, Kander. I don't know why I picked the K, though...

==K==

Edwin 20 Dec 2002 10:14 PM

I guess I'd fall into the "dull" category... I pick "Edwin" (my first name) when it's available, and "Genki" (nickname concocted from my central site's URL) when it's not available.

So far, I've never visited a BBS where both the above have already been taken :)

DBH 20 Dec 2002 11:21 PM

Mine is just my initials :)

Dave

dragon1 21 Dec 2002 06:51 AM

My alias is culturally-based. -edit- I added the number 1 in case someone else was using it.

This is the only place this alias is used. :)

AUSSIE 21 Dec 2002 10:31 AM

Meaning of user name

Hi,
Mine's self-explanatory. Errored on sign up used caps was not intended. :mad:
All good things come from "The land down under" Fastmail and good looking Aussie's (pun);) ;) ;)
Regards Aussie

ReuvenNY 21 Dec 2002 10:48 AM

This turns out to be an interesting tread. Anyway, in my case I added NY to my first name, when some **** beat me to it on Hotmail and Yahoo (about 7-8 years ago). Why NY? I am a New Yorker by choice, love this city, and am proud of it. I use this ID on every forum, so I don't have to think twice when signing in.

P.S. The **** were not computer generated... I do not use profanities, just some characters that represent them!

robert@fm 21 Dec 2002 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by ReuvenNY
P.S. The **** were not computer generated... I do not use profanities, just some characters that represent them!
I usually type "NFBSK"... ;)

24 Dec 2002 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Gankaku
The other ID I use on some forums recently is Stargazer...coz....I like gazing at stars in the sky. :) (Astronomy is my hobby/interest/"wanted to be one when I grew up" thing for me.)
With that in mind, I'm glad you didn't use the name Quasar! :D I, too, enjoy viewing the night sky and at this point, I'd have to say I'm a VERY amateur astronomer. Eventually, I plan on buying a few books on the subject and, when my finances improve, I'd like to buy a refracting telescope so I can get a better view of the cosmos. We are not alone.