EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   FastMail Forum (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Is this a phish? (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=73590)

noclue 14 Feb 2018 02:34 PM

Is this a phish?

----- Original message -----
To: myname@fastmail.fm
Subject: Incoming mails were placed on pending 2/9/2018
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 01:37:08 +0200

Hi User myname@fastmail.fm
You have 9 Incoming mail on Pending Due to the security alert
Recovery Back Mail
Regard
IT - DEPARTMENT -ADMIN

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This doesn't look like anything I have ever received from FastMail. Should I open it?

FredOnline 14 Feb 2018 02:57 PM

Personally, I would delete.

But then I don't have any contacts with a hughes.net e-mail address.

Are there any links in the message?

noclue 14 Feb 2018 03:00 PM

No. No links. It just looks suspicious. I've been with FastMail for 12 years, and I've never seen anything like this before.

FredOnline 14 Feb 2018 03:02 PM

Do you send to or receive e-mails from any of your contacts with a hughes.net address?

noclue 14 Feb 2018 03:09 PM

Never even heard of 'em!

FredOnline 14 Feb 2018 03:11 PM

Well, then I would delete and forget it.

If it continues to happen, report back! :)

noclue 14 Feb 2018 03:12 PM

That's what I figured, but I wanted to check with the experts! I have to wonder how someone got my email address??

BritTim 14 Feb 2018 03:19 PM

I would suggest forwarding the email (as attachment) to abuse@fastmail.com, with a covering note. In the highly unlikely event that the email is something you should read, FastMail will reply back accordingly. In the 99.9% probability that the email is malicious, it may help FastMail build protections to prevent others being targeted.

noclue 14 Feb 2018 04:27 PM

Thanks, Brit Tim. Will do.

n5bb 16 Feb 2018 10:48 AM

Hughesnet is a a satellite communications provider and is owned by EchoStar. It's definitely a phishing message and should be deleted. See an official warning about this scam:
http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/3918.aspx

Bill

noclue 16 Feb 2018 03:28 PM

It always boggles my mind that people do things like this. I have no idea how they got into my email. FastMail ID'd it as spam, but I was curious about it so I looked at it to see if it was actually from FamtMail. It just didn't feel like something FastMail would send out. I've already sent it to the abuse address with a short note.

Have you ever received one of these emails? I don't know what I did wrong to invite them into my life... :confused:

BritTim 16 Feb 2018 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noclue (Post 605658)
It always boggles my mind that people do things like this. I have no idea how they got into my email. FastMail ID'd it as spam, but I was curious about it so I looked at it to see if it was actually from FamtMail. It just didn't feel like something FastMail would send out. I've already sent it to the abuse address with a short note.

Have you ever received one of these emails? I don't know what I did wrong to invite them into my life... :confused:

There are many ways you can end up being targeted by such messages. It may be as trivial as you having a simple account name or alias that is targeted by a dictionary attack. For example, jane@fastmail.com is likely to receive a lot of random spam. Another common issue is that a legitimate correspondent may end up (deliberately or accidentally) getting you on lists of valid email addresses targeted by such attackers.

It was probably not your fault. A good technique for the future that can help a lot is:
  • when signing up for a new service or with a new company, use a unique email address (e.g. jane+Amazon@fastmail.com);
  • when you receive spam or a phishing message, look to see what email address it was sent to; and
  • use a Rule to ensure future messages to that address are either deeted or placed in a special folder.
If it seems a company you do business with has sold your email address, you might want to reconsider working with them in future.

noclue 16 Feb 2018 06:54 PM

Good idea to check which of my three email addresses was the target. I am a shut-in, so I do a lot of online shopping. It might be tricky to figure out who the culprit was, but it's a good place to start.

I am terrible at rules! They are sort of like high school algebra to me, and I was lousy at that. I do plan to give it a go though.

Thanks again for your help, Brit Tim. :)

JamesHenderson 16 Feb 2018 09:49 PM

admin-mail at hughes.net doesn't exist.

I have always found this link useful...

janusz 17 Feb 2018 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesHenderson (Post 605662)
I have always found this link useful...

Thanks! :D