EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   FastMail Forum (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Fastmail’s got a new look (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=74466)

Grhm 25 Jun 2019 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xyzzy (Post 610494)
It's in the Files section.

Aha! Thank you.

labarum 26 Jun 2019 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivil (Post 610488)
Folder management in the main page with a + , edit and find plus the fact to changes folder parameters is totally bullsh*t !

Does every customer manages folder(s) X times per day ?

I came to this forum to see what comments were on the unannounced Fastmail "improvements".

The one that irritates me most is the folder management on the main "Mail" page - why? If I want to change settings I will go to "Settings".

I don't need the extra screen clutter.

walesrob 26 Jun 2019 09:37 AM

Mail fetch/Connected accounts

Anyone know how to add an external mail account to mail fetch? I can see view and edit mail fetch (in the Import & Setup), but no button to add an account?:confused:

Grhm 26 Jun 2019 09:56 AM

I think perhaps you have to click one of the icons above it, under the heading 'Import mail, calendars and contacts'.

xyzzy 26 Jun 2019 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walesrob (Post 610514)
Anyone know how to add an external mail account to mail fetch? I can see view and edit mail fetch (in the Import & Setup), but no button to add an account?:confused:

If you mean to be able to access (send and receive) the other account from fastmail then click Add Identity button in the Sending Identities to set it up. Once set up you will then see it in the External Addresses section of the Sending Identities.

Update:
I just played around with this "new" setup with a gmx account I had laying around. I think what I describe above sets up the send side but not the fetch side. Not sure what I am missing. It was so much more initiative with the older Identities & Fetch setup.

Note, I already had 4 "Identities & Fetch" accounts set up with one disabled. All that info got inherited into this new UI. But where do you now specify the fetch side in this new UI?

Grhm 26 Jun 2019 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by labarum (Post 610513)
If I want to change settings I will go to "Settings".

And if you want to do it that way, you still can!
Personally, I like this change. It seems to me far more logical and efficient to place controls relating to folders on the list of folders rather than buried in the settings menu somewhere.
In fact I wish they'd go the whole hog and bring back the [<] buttons they used to have against each folder in the old pre-'classic' interface, which allowed you to move items between folders with a single click and with no menu-delving required at all.

labarum 26 Jun 2019 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grhm (Post 610517)
In fact I wish they'd go the whole hog and bring back the [<] buttons they used to have against each folder in the old pre-'classic' interface, which allowed you to move items between folders with a single click and with no menu-delving required at all.

I agree with you. That would have been useful as it is about daily management. The folder tree I have has not been edited in years, and I don't imagine many users change it often.

My folder list is on constant display as mails are filtered - INBOX sees very few mails. Those subscribers that use only, or mostly, INBOX will have a different view of this issue.

The balance to be struck is between an uncluttered screen and convenient usability. For my money the top banner is too intrusive on a small screen and contains an arbitrary selection of buttons.

The cleanest interface I know is that of Outlook.com. I wait to see what Google is about to do.

Grhm 26 Jun 2019 09:29 PM

The cleanest interface I know is a blank screen with a flashing cursor.
That has its place, but it is the opposite of user-friendly.
I really don't understand this modern mania for bleak, featureless interfaces.
It's really irritating to have to make multiple mouse clicks and explore complicated menus just to do the simplest things.
Three tiny buttons at the bottom of the folder tree is not 'clutter'!
At worst it might obscure one folder, but only if you have lots and lots of top-level folders (which I do, as it goes)... otherwise that part of the screen is going to be empty anyway.

wishlish 27 Jun 2019 02:19 AM

Boy, I hate the logo

I get what they're going for, but it reminds me of an off-brand Burger King paper crown. YUCK. The envelope was FAR better, and the circle doesn't help at all.

I'm not going to switch over a logo. Fastmail is still fantastic. But that logo is barf.

Terry 1 Jul 2019 08:57 AM

I would have thought at least a F in it, looks like a Bank logo

xyzzy 1 Jul 2019 10:19 AM

This may be one of those logos that looks different to different people. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder kind of thing. To me it looks like it's trying to be a fancy "M" shape inside a circle. I liked the old logo better too.