EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   FastMail Forum (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   German "Bundesnetzagentur" requesting Fastmail to register in Germany (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=72795)

xor 26 Jun 2017 11:25 PM

German "Bundesnetzagentur" requesting Fastmail to register in Germany

The German "Bundesnetzagentur" (German government organization for network regulation) has requested Fastmail to officially register with them (see German article here).

Germany requires all email providers to offer remote interfaces for government agencies to conveniently and secretly access all their customer's email. Also, Germany has just passed aggressive laws to spy on their citizens, requiring network providers to store citizen's communication metadata and allowing the deployment of trojan software to hack into the computers of citizens even for minor offenses. In addition, Germany is about to pass an aggressive internet censorship law.

In the light of these developments, please, Fastmail, do not make any concessions to any German government organization. It will be used to force you into spying on your German customers. Please resist!

n5bb 27 Jun 2017 10:51 AM

See:
https://www.fastmail.com/help/accoun...available.html

Bill

TheJapanese 27 Jun 2017 03:23 PM

Yes. Please resist.

But what about google and other companies. Did they already give their ok? Why only fastmail? And why in general? They do not offer any German services at all?

edu 27 Jun 2017 04:40 PM

Does it mean that posteo.de is also compromised? :( They store the emails encrypted (if you choose this option) but I don't know if they can be forced to do the opposite or read them before they are encrypted.

misc 27 Jun 2017 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xor (Post 602543)
Germany requires all email providers to offer remote interfaces for government agencies to conveniently and secretly access all their customer's email.

Any sources for this? Never heard about such a law (which doesn't mean it doesn't exist).

The quoted article at Heise says the trouble would be about whether FastMail has to officially identify themselves to Bundesnetzagentur as a "commercial provider of telecommunication services".

joe_devore 27 Jun 2017 10:22 PM

GOOD GAWD!... were back to FEDERAL/CENTRAL/GOV/FASCIST TYRANNY AGAIN in Germany!!!??? YOU THINK they would have learned from the first time they got brainwashed and let NAZI party TAKE oVER and nearly burn all of Europe to the ground, never mind the rest of the world...
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Then there is the CIA/NSA/etc agencies in the USA an ALL the domestic spying they doing ALL IN THE NAME OF NATIONAL SECURITY
:( :( :mad: :mad: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

xor 28 Jun 2017 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misc (Post 602559)
Any sources for this? Never heard about such a law (which doesn't mean it doesn't exist).

This is the law since 2005. See here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by misc (Post 602559)
The quoted article at Heise says the trouble would be about whether FastMail has to officially identify themselves to Bundesnetzagentur as a "commercial provider of telecommunication services".

Yes, but with the "registration" come all the other "goodies" like having to provide the mentioned interfaces for snooping on user's emails. This is what the request really is about.

xor 28 Jun 2017 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edu (Post 602557)
Does it mean that posteo.de is also compromised? :( They store the emails encrypted (if you choose this option) but I don't know if they can be forced to do the opposite or read them before they are encrypted.

German government interception (also) happens on the protocol level (they intercept SMTP, IMAP, HTTP, etc)

If you do not encrypt the email content before(!) it leaves your own computer, then, yes, you can be targeted by these interfaces.

Therefore, encrypt in your own local mail client, do not rely on web browser interface encryption.

janusz 28 Jun 2017 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xor (Post 602570)
This is the law since 2005. See here.

So it took you 12 years to get worked up about it....

Whatever the legal requirements are, I see no reason why Fastmail should be made a special case and be exempted. If FM prefers to withdraw from the German market, there is no shortage of alternative providers.

joe_devore 28 Jun 2017 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janusz (Post 602572)
So it took you 8 years to get worked up about it....

Whatever the legal requirements are, I see no reason why FastMail should be made a special case and be exempted. If FM prefers to withdraw from the German market, there is no shortage of alternative providers.

GOOD GAWD.. GERMANY HAS GONE FULL INSANE/EVIL AGAIN!!
So Germany does not protect its citizens RIGHTS?

Quote:

The operator has to bear the costs, both for the provision of the monitoring technology and for the concrete implementation.
Appropriate solutions cost around 20,000 euros.
ERhh SERIOUSLY!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
$22,588.10 US Dollar... THAT IS A LOT OF $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

janusz 28 Jun 2017 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe_devore (Post 602574)
GOOD GAWD.. GERMANY HAS GONE FULL INSANE

So have some users here

joe_devore 28 Jun 2017 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janusz (Post 602575)
So have some users here

lol haha... :D:confused::cool::p:p;);)

FredOnline 28 Jun 2017 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janusz (Post 602575)
So have some users here

In a nutshell, with emphasis on the first syllable.

mballas 28 Jun 2017 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredOnline (Post 602577)
In a nutshell, with emphasis on the first syllable.

The Joker is Wild.

xor 28 Jun 2017 02:25 AM

Quote:

So it took you 12 years to get worked up about it....

No, it bothered me since the law was conceived. And this is why I did not use a German email provider since.

Quote:

Whatever the legal requirements are, I see no reason why Fastmail should be made a special case and be exempted. If FM prefers to withdraw from the German market, there is no shortage of alternative providers.

The attack vector the German government found seems to be Fastmail's app offered in the German app stores. The app has been pulled now it seems. Hopefully, that will suffice.

Oh, and btw.: Germany now requires Youtube bloggers to get a German broadcasting license. No kidding!

joe_devore 28 Jun 2017 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xor (Post 602579)
Oh, and btw.: Germany now requires Youtube bloggers to get a German broadcasting license. No kidding!

GOOD GAWD, Germany IS INSANE!
AND..! NEEDS SOME FREEDOM BROUGHT TO IT AGAIN!
WMwhaha ;p :rolleyes:;):p

German regulator says Twitch and YouTube streams are considered broadcasts, must apply for broadcasting license
Quote:

A broadcast license costs anywhere between €1,000 and €10,000, depending on the size of the audience and other factors.
- $1,132.95 US Dollar
to
- $11,334.50 US Dollar
NO individual COULD EVER AFFORD THAT...! :mad::mad:

IF THE GERMAN PEOPLE ARE INCAPABLE OF STANDING UP TO THIS TYRANNY AGAIN..!!

THEN IT WOULD SEEM THAT THEY ARE IN OF NEED SOME "FREEDOM"
FREE of CHARGE courtesy of the USA! ;) ;) ;) lol
LOL Bwhahaha :rolleyes::D;);););)

BritTim 28 Jun 2017 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xor (Post 602571)
German government interception (also) happens on the protocol level (they intercept SMTP, IMAP, HTTP, etc)

If you do not encrypt the email content before(!) it leaves your own computer, then, yes, you can be targeted by these interfaces.

Therefore, encrypt in your own local mail client, do not rely on web browser interface encryption.

If you cannot trust your email provider, I cannot see how any encryption helps. If you trust your provider, then I cannot see how an encrypted IMAP connection is any more secure than an encrypted HTTP connection using the same algorithm and key lengths.

edu 28 Jun 2017 05:01 AM

That's not what Posteo says about it, maybe you misunderstood that law, and I know that Posteo had some problems with authorities before and always defending their users.
https://posteo.de/en/site/faq

Is Posteo affected by the reintroduction of data retention in Germany?

No, Posteo is not affected by data retention. You don't need to be concerned about the privacy of your Posteo emails. The law on the reintroduction of data retention ("Gesetz zur Einführung einer Speicherpflicht und einer Höchstspeicherfrist für Verkehrsdaten") completely excludes email providers. The entire area of email is excepted from retention.
In short, Posteo is not one of the affected parties. At Posteo, therefore, it remains the case that no data is retained.

https://posteo.de/en/blog/transparen...edly-decreased

https://posteo.de/en/site/transparency_report

Quote:

Originally Posted by xor (Post 602571)

xor 28 Jun 2017 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BritTim (Post 602581)
If you cannot trust your email provider, I cannot see how any encryption helps. If you trust your provider, then I cannot see how an encrypted IMAP connection is any more secure than an encrypted HTTP connection using the same algorithm and key lengths.

First of all, you can indeed no longer trust your email provider if they are forced by law to conspire against you. There is nothing they can do about that.

Second, encrypted IMAP or HTTP connections do not help in this case: they only protect you from outside eavesdroppers. They hide nothing from the email provider and so they do not help against a government forcing the provider to cooperate.

However, encryption properly done on your machine, with only your communication partner (and not the email provider!) holding the decryption key, is practically unbreakable, even by the government infiltrated email provider.

Use PGP or S/MIME and the content of your email is safe! (The subject line, sender, and recipient address are always revealed, though).

But do not rely on web clients provided by your email provider to do the encryption - these will be infiltrated also!

This is what I was trying to get across.

xor 28 Jun 2017 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edu (Post 602583)
That's not what Posteo says about it, maybe you misunderstood that law, and I know that Posteo had some problems with authorities before and always defending their users.
https://posteo.de/en/site/faq
Is Posteo affected by the reintroduction of data retention in Germany?

No, Posteo is not affected by data retention. (...)

Posteo does the best they can.They do a great job in fact!

You are correct in stating that "data retention" does not apply to email providers, only network providers (and I already wrote that in my first post).

But, like I wrote, Germany also requires all email providers to offer remote interfaces for government agencies to conveniently and secretly access their customer's email on demand.

No exception for Posteo: Posteo does a very good job trying to fend of the usage of these interfaces, but they can not in all cases as their transparency report shows.

So, to summarize: data retention applies to German network providers, eavesdropping interfaces apply to German email providers, inclusing Posteo, but hopefully not Fastmail.

BritTim 28 Jun 2017 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xor (Post 602584)
First of all, you can indeed no longer trust your email provider if they are forced by law to conspire against you. There is nothing they can do about that.

Second, encrypted IMAP or HTTP connections do not help in this case: they only protect you from outside eavesdroppers. They hide nothing from the email provider and so they do not help against a government forcing the provider to cooperate.

However, encryption properly done on your machine, with only your communication partner (and not the email provider!) holding the decryption key, is practically unbreakable, even by the government infiltrated email provider.

Use PGP or S/MIME and the content of your email is safe! (The subject line, sender, and recipient address are always revealed, though).

But do not rely on web clients provided by your email provider to do the encryption - these will be infiltrated also!

This is what I was trying to get across.

Now, I understand you. Of course, there is some leak of information even if the main content of your email is encrypted. The big problem, though, is that almost none of my correspondents are willing to go to the trouble of using client-to-client encryption. I have had PGP keys for such purposes for about 15 years, but (in that time) have used it with less than 1% of my email communications.

ReuvenNY 29 Jun 2017 12:29 AM

Moderator's Comment

Folks, cool down the rhetoric and refrain from political comments.

TheJapanese 7 Jul 2017 12:46 PM

Some news concerning the issues with germany?

As a german user (willing to bring fastmail to my whole family) it's not easy to decide what to do... No answer from fastmail at this point :(

n5bb 7 Jul 2017 02:15 PM

As long as the help link below remains the same, I don't think you can expect any difference. You can always file a support request by clicking the link shown on this page.
https://www.fastmail.com/help/accoun...available.html

Bill

edu 19 Jul 2017 05:33 PM

You could be right about it, I am not sure.
Posteo answered me that they don't post about these things in forums..., I told them that I only wanted to know the answer, not in forums, and that I was dissapointed with that answer but no reply until now... Suspicious.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xor (Post 602586)
Posteo does the best they can.They do a great job in fact!

You are correct in stating that "data retention" does not apply to email providers, only network providers (and I already wrote that in my first post).

But, like I wrote, Germany also requires all email providers to offer remote interfaces for government agencies to conveniently and secretly access their customer's email on demand.

No exception for Posteo: Posteo does a very good job trying to fend of the usage of these interfaces, but they can not in all cases as their transparency report shows.

So, to summarize: data retention applies to German network providers, eavesdropping interfaces apply to German email providers, inclusing Posteo, but hopefully not Fastmail.

edu 19 Jul 2017 06:41 PM

But, for example, Tutanota posted about this here:

https://tutanota.com/blog/posts/data-protection-germany

pr1v 19 Jul 2017 06:47 PM

Please read:

https://airvpn.org/topic/12766-whats...e-7#entry64210

FredOnline 2 Aug 2017 09:16 PM

FastMail apps and signup available in Germany again

FastMail blog, posted by everyone's favorite, Bron! :cool:

https://blog.fastmail.com/2017/08/02...germany-again/

TenFour 3 Aug 2017 05:44 AM

I wonder what the legal situation is for your email stored on Fastmail servers that are based in the USA? Sure, the company personnel are in Australia, but they own a nexus in the USA (POBox.com) and store data in the USA. I can't claim to be a legal expert on this, but that would seem to indicate that at least some US laws would apply as they do to any other foreign company doing business in another country.

OT a bit, but let's pretend we are government spies and we are looking for something suspicious and we have a list of everyone and their email services they are using. My own attention might be immediately drawn to those using services like Proton Mail or Tutanota as obviously those people feel they have something to hide. Maybe the spies can't directly read the email, but knowing who is sending messages and to whom might be information equally as valuable. Not saying this is right or wrong, but it just makes sense.