EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Can't login to Gmx.com webmail (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=52468)

xmailer 20 Apr 2008 04:59 AM

Can't login to Gmx.com webmail

When I attempt to login to my gmx.com account, as usual a new FF window opens, in which it usually takes at least a couple minutes for the webmail to load. However, I'm now just getting a new blank window with nothing at all attempting to load in the window, as far as I can tell, for perhaps 5 or 10 minutes so far. It's actually the second time I tried logging in, after closing the empty window and reloading the gmx.com home/login page, with the same result both times.

I haven't checked whether POP/IMAP is working (I regularly poll the account by POP from one of my Gmail accounts), as I really need to login to the webmail interface to add a couple of filters to the account. As far as I can recall, I've made no changes to my browser or system in general which should have any effect on this. I've been considering making greater use of the service, but unless this is a problem of some kind at my end, I'm beginning to feel a bit apprehensive as to whether the service is quite ready to make "serious" use of. Is anyone else having problems logging in?

Edit: I probably should have tried logging into my second gmx.com account before posting here, but I've just done so and I'm getting the same result. So that would make it appear that it's not something specific/unique to the one account, but that it's either a problem with their system or mine. Javascript is enabled and I have nothing else disabled or blocked which should be interfering with the functioning of the site AFAIK.

Merovingian 20 Apr 2008 05:08 AM

Yup. Can't log in to mine, either. I was on this morning, and sent and received from both of my gmx accounts, but not now.

When the new window opens, I get the message:

HTTP Status 404 - /login_failure.html&sid=bhcbjbjica.1208635625.14523.h9g1uuy22q.73

type Status report

message /login_failure.html&sid=bhcbjbjica.1208635625.14523.h9g1uuy22q.73

description The requested resource (/login_failure.html&sid=bhcbjbjica.1208635625.14523.h9g1uuy22q.73) is not available.

nbarr 20 Apr 2008 05:10 AM

I just logged into gmx.com Webmail, it did take a bit longer than usual, perhaps an extra 10 seconds. Once signed in everything seemed to happen at about the same speed as usual. (Firefox 3 Beta 4)

IMAP seems to be behaving the same as ever.

Merovingian 20 Apr 2008 05:11 AM

I will also add, however, that this is the first bit of difficulty that I have had from GMX in months.

You're right, xmailer, it doesn't inspire confidence to use seriously when things like this happen. Hopefully it won't last too long. :(

xmailer 20 Apr 2008 05:19 AM

Thanks for the responses. Unlike Merovingian, I only got a blank page, as I said above, no error messages in my case. But nbarr's "slowness" in combination with these login problems do seem to suggest a problem or problems at their end. Perhaps they're having a problem affecting only some of the webmail servers, or affecting them "erratically"? Hopefully it'll clear up and/or we'll get some kind of status report from the service soon. I'll be offline for most of the rest of the day, so I'll just have to check it again later.

ReuvenNY 20 Apr 2008 05:50 AM

Logged in with no problems. However, I use it only with IMAP, where I never have problems...

Merovingian 20 Apr 2008 09:23 AM

I can now log in to both my accounts, and can send and receive quickly. I've been away since my last post, so not sure how long it's been back.

As I said before, this is the first bit of trouble I've experienced with gmx.com, so I don't really think much of it. Plus, it seems to have been addressed and corrected quickly. :cool:

xmailer 20 Apr 2008 12:26 PM

Thanks for the updates. I've checked the POP polling of GMX from my Gmail account, and apparently that's still working, at least there are no recent errors reported for either GMX account and both have been checked within the hour, although I receive little mail at either account thus far, with nothing new received at either for the better part of a week or longer. However, unfortunately I'm still having the same problem with both accounts when attempting to login to the webmail, just getting a new window opening with nothing ever loading into it, it just remains a blank page indefinitely.

As a predominantly webmail only user, this is quickly dampening any enthusiasm I may have had for the service, and only strengthening my wish that these services would focus less on developing these "fancy" new interfaces (i.e., AJAX crap) and more on stability. Sadly, I suspect that they're all going in the opposite direction, feeling that these fancy new "desktop client -like" interfaces will attract more users who care more about appearance than functionality.

William9 20 Apr 2008 01:26 PM

When I had an account with GMX.com, I was very dissatisfied. It was terribly slow and didn't support my browsers well. It is difficult for me to understand the value in that service.

xmailer 20 Apr 2008 01:50 PM

It has some nice features if/when they work. But of course if you can't access your account, they're worthless. And although there had been some improvements in speed since I first signed up with them, even when I was able to login the interface was still too slow for me to consider using it on a regular basis. But at this point I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to make any use of it at all.

Merovingian 20 Apr 2008 06:58 PM

xmailer, what browser are you running? I remember when I first had a gmx account months ago, I had trouble with IE, but it worked well with Firefox. I'm on FF now (3beta5), and as stated have no issues bringing up the window (just logged in again to make sure). Maybe try a different browser?

Merovingian 20 Apr 2008 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmailer (Post 448905)
As a predominantly webmail only user, this is quickly dampening any enthusiasm I may have had for the service, and only strengthening my wish that these services would focus less on developing these "fancy" new interfaces (i.e., AJAX crap) and more on stability. Sadly, I suspect that they're all going in the opposite direction, feeling that these fancy new "desktop client -like" interfaces will attract more users who care more about appearance than functionality.

Completely agree. I enjoy a stripped down interface without all the pretty stuff, but it does seem most are going the other way. Eumx's new Zimbra is a good example. Sloooow loading up, and lots to work through.

drew 20 Apr 2008 08:46 PM

don't get me wrong. I use "Live" mail client with gmx and it is so easy to set up and I check email each 5 or each minute depending on what I expect.

So why do people use webmail at all when they don't need to?

Just me not getting what is so good about webmail?

zhak 20 Apr 2008 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drew (Post 448926)
So why do people use webmail at all when they don't need to?

Just me not getting what is so good about webmail?

Multiple computers, some not their own. Or multiple OS's on their home computer. For me, both are true.

drew 20 Apr 2008 11:08 PM

Yes, that is a good explanation. some clients allow one to set it up so it never delete the emails which allow one to have them downloaded but still kept on server so they get available on many computers set up in same way.

But maybe is not to be too trusted. Easy to forget to turn deleting after download off.

I fired up an old computer and it downloaded emails from october 2007 which show it is possible to use several computer on same email services and not get the email deleted. But it is maybe a bit too adventures. Easy to delete one that is important to answer.

I remember a Norwegian had an ultra small email client. Forgot name. Smallest there is. But discontinued now. That one never downloaded a thing but one could still read and respond and was not vulnerable to virus either. The emails stayed on server and nothing got downloaded. One read the email on the server but from within an email client. Very clever I thought.

One could delete spam and questionable emails with attachments without opening them and they didn't get downloaded either and they could be read in plain text to protect from executive programs from doing things. Sad he didn't had time to perfect it. So practical to leave them on server but no need to log in ever. The client took care of such things. Sorry going off topic.