EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   The Off-Topic Lounge (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Game: Chain of Place Names (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=16818)

Malc 44 31 Oct 2003 07:36 AM

Game: Chain of Place Names

dragon1's thread 'chain of song titles' reminded me of a Geography game that my kids play sometimes. It's identical to this game but played (obviously) with place names. I thought this would work well with this global forum!

Rules:

Place names can include Countries, States, Counties, Cities, Towns, Village etc. Any place on our planet basically.

You CAN repeat place names, but try to avoid repitition on the same page. You may need to consult your atlas for 'X'

If you have time, try to educate us all by adding a rough location of your entries, (especially lesser known places). And any other info you wish to add.

example:

NorthwooD

(a suburb of north London, England)
---------------------
DoveR

(A coastal town in Kent, England. You can get a ferry crossing to France from here)
--------------------------

I'll start you off with my home town:

WatforD

(A town just north-west of London, England)

JeffK 31 Oct 2003 07:55 AM

Dingo - a town in central western Queensland, Australia. (also the name for an Australian "native" dog).

31 Oct 2003 08:15 AM

Oakey - Queensland Australia, (just north of Towoomba)

dragon1 31 Oct 2003 08:38 AM

Yolo - a county in Northern California that is much closer to the state capitol of Sacramento than to San Francisco. It's primarily agricultural and home to the University of California at Davis.

To read more about it, go here.

31 Oct 2003 08:42 AM

Orange NSW Australia - About 3 hours west of sydney

kander 31 Oct 2003 05:02 PM

Amsterdam :) AKA: The Center of the World. Famous for it's.. erm. Well, I dunno why people come to Amsterdam, but it's pretty famous.

--K

Malc 44 31 Oct 2003 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by kander
Amsterdam :)
Where the hell's that?? :D ;)

Manchester ~ Northern City in Lancashire, Engalnd, famous for their successful football team Manchester United. erm that's soccer to some of you ;)

kander 31 Oct 2003 06:32 PM

Roodkerk - Tiny hamlet in Friesland, one of the the northern provinces of the Netherlands. Has 211 citizens currently. The 212 will probably be born in the night between today and tomorrow.

(OT: Perhaps it's a good idea to have the convention of putting the name of the area/town/etc in bold, so that people know what letter to use...)

Spin 31 Oct 2003 07:11 PM

Kentucky - State in the U.S.A.

31 Oct 2003 09:20 PM

Quote:

Amsterdam :) AKA: The Center of the World. Famous for it's.. erm. Well, I dunno why people come to Amsterdam, but it's pretty famous.

--K

Amsterdam/Holland must be a fairly relaxed place ;)

Y*** NSW

Dave P in StLouis 1 Nov 2003 12:14 AM

Washington, D.C. - U. S. Capitol

Malc 44 1 Nov 2003 12:25 AM

CoventrY

City in the midlands, England. Was hit heavily by bombing during the 2nd world war.
There is an English expression "send him/her to Coventry" which means to totally ignore someone.

dragon1 1 Nov 2003 01:53 AM

Yreka - a small city in Northern California situated 22 miles south of the Oregon border off Interstate 5. Recreational activities abound here including backpacking, whitewater rafting, bicycling, fishing, water skiing, and more. It is home to the Yreka Western Railroad/ Blue Goose steam train.

Pronounced Why-Reeka. Not to be confused with the city of Eureka, which is on the coast.

robert@fm 1 Nov 2003 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Malc 44
Manchester ~ Northern City in Lancashire, Engalnd,
Er, since 1967 Manchester has been in the County of Greater Manchester. :p ;)

Abergavenny — AFAIK the only Welsh town ever to have a song about it. ;) (Recorded by Marty Wilde, Kim's dad, in the 1960s.)

robert@fm 1 Nov 2003 05:56 AM

Quote:

Famous for having sung about it by Max Bygraves, a song so cheesey one could use it to catch mice. ;)

A bit like the town of Abergavenny, really. :)