EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   FastMail Forum (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Fastmail partially interrupted for nearly 24 hours (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=79571)

Berenburger 2 Jul 2023 06:48 AM

Fastmail partially interrupted for nearly 24 hours

And not a single reaction. Glory days are over here. :(

BritTim 2 Jul 2023 07:40 AM

Another interpretation of the lack of reaction is that only a very small percentage of the users were inconvenienced.

xyzzy 2 Jul 2023 12:16 PM

I never noticed a problem. Current status page (as of 7/1 at 8:16PM PDT) says everything is OK but it does mention some users were experiencing a problem. I guess not enough users were affected or it was fixed fast, or the FastMail users that know this forum even exists didn't think it worth mentioning. Well, excluding Berenburger of course! :D

Terry 2 Jul 2023 05:12 PM

Must be local.........All good in AU :D

Fenman 2 Jul 2023 08:18 PM

I wasn't affected so I didn't post. FWIW the Reddit page received 71 responses so far.

Bamb0 2 Jul 2023 08:26 PM

I sure hope things are ok!!

n5bb 3 Jul 2023 04:56 AM

The Fastmail Status page shows that it was an internet routing issue external to Fastmail a couple of days ago. I (and my friends with Fastmail accounts) had no problems. We are in the US. From the status page:
Quote:

This incident has been resolved. Network connectivity on a limited set of routes had been interrupted due to damage to a cross-site connection. No mail has been lost as a result of this incident, although external delivery of some mail was delayed. We will be taking steps to ensure future incidents like this will be resolved more quickly.
Bill

Berenburger 3 Jul 2023 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fenman (Post 629887)
I wasn't affected so I didn't post. FWIW the Reddit page received 71 responses so far.

And on Hacker News 118.

Berenburger 7 Jul 2023 08:02 AM

Postmortem is out.

TenFour 7 Jul 2023 10:03 AM

Quote:

For about 19 hours, Fastmail and a portion of the internet were completely unable to communicate with each other, including a fraction of our customers, and also some email servers.
Interesting read, but what caused the problem?

BritTim 7 Jul 2023 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TenFour (Post 629991)
Interesting read, but what caused the problem?

Routing table errors on some networks that were out of the control of Fastmail. All Fastmail could do was diagnose which networks seemed to be affected (not easy) and try to locate those responsible for the networks' administration.

TenFour 7 Jul 2023 09:24 PM

Quote:

Routing table errors on some networks that were out of the control of Fastmail.
Curious how you know that? Isn't the Internet designed so that traffic automatically moves to other routes if one is blocked?

BritTim 8 Jul 2023 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TenFour (Post 630000)
Curious how you know that? Isn't the Internet designed so that traffic automatically moves to other routes if one is blocked?

When correctly configured, it is possible for traffic to be routed around temporarily unavailable routes. However, the Internet is not designed to be resilient against configuration errors.