EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   What email services do you use (2021 edition)? (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=78672)

trussrod 27 May 2021 01:58 AM

What email services do you use (2021 edition)?

I read this forum and lots of times I wonder what each user has as their "main" email service.

So, I'll start:
  1. Purelymail
  2. Outlook (free)
  3. OnMail (free)
  4. ProtonMail (free)
  5. Tutanota (free)

somdcomputerguy 27 May 2021 03:12 AM

1> Fastmail (paid)
2> Proton Mail (paid)
3> my ISP email account (paid..)
4> my webhosts' email account (free, because I used to be a moderator on their forum, when they had one..)

I have two domains. One goes directly to #1, the other goes directly to #2. I also use the service SpamGourmet to generate email addresses.

- Bruce

Berenburger 27 May 2021 08:36 AM

1. Pobox (only the forwarding service).
  2. Tuffmail (ceasing operation on Jan 1 2022).
  3. Hey
  4. Gmail

somdcomputerguy 27 May 2021 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berenburger (Post 621392)
  1. Gmail

Oh yeah, I have a Gmail acct also, but I rarely (as in less than once in a blue moon..) use it.

- Bruce

jeffpan 27 May 2021 11:55 AM

• Pobox: primarily for my domains hosting, all domains email were forwarded to a single gmail box
  • gmail: my primary email account, used it from 2004
  • icloud: my iOS native email account, used for some subscribed messages
  • web.de: it has the standard and fast IMAP connection, used for Mac OS IMAP client.
  • tls-mail.com: my owned email service, used it sometime.

odedp 27 May 2021 05:51 PM

Pobox (Fastmail web)
Runbox
Gmail

JeremyNicoll 27 May 2021 07:00 PM

1. Fastmail - paid - for about half of my emails.

2. A&A - paid - (an ISP in London, though not my ISP), who host two domains for me. About half my emails go through there.

3. I've got email facilities available, though I'm not using them, via a third [web-hosting] company (paid)

4. I've got a yahoo id, but - for years - it's just been used for groups there. As the groups concerned have gone elsewhere it's not getting much use. However I do send test mails there every few months and login and check they arrived.

I do not use any of the extra facilities - email, webspace etc - provided by the company who provide my broadband connection. Long ago, before spam became a big problem, I used ISP-provided email addresses and it took a lot of effort, over more than a year, to migrate away from them when their service became unusable. Never again.

TenFour 27 May 2021 10:08 PM

I experiment a lot, but at the moment:

1. Gmail as my main email handler, with my domain email as my main address used for most things forwarded from my domain registrar, using Google SMTP to send. I have several Gmail accounts for various things. Best spam/junk filtering and search, which would be hard to give up since it is the archive of all my email back to 2006.
2. Purelymail for some domain email
3. Fastmail is on hold at the moment after a bad customer service experience. Debating whether or not to use it.
4. Outlook.com for backup email use and I have lots of legacy storage in OneDrive so use that for archiving various things.
5. Microsoft 365 for business email
6. Google Workspace for other business things, though not using the email function at the moment.

ankupan 27 May 2021 11:35 PM

Pobox
Fastmail
Office 365
G Suite
Protonmail

Now loving Zoho Mail too.

TenFour 27 May 2021 11:59 PM

Quote:

Now loving Zoho Mail too.
Has it been reliable? How's the spam?

ankupan 28 May 2021 12:02 AM

Yes, first I doubt too.

But later on, I am really happy with it.

I have few domains and some users on it.

The web interface is too easy and in India, $ 1.5 month, giving a complete suite with 30 GB space.

Never faced any SPAM issue with them.

One thing, In admin they have 24 hrs chat support.

(Earlier, All these domains were with Fastmail, now with Zoho)

Quote:

Originally Posted by TenFour (Post 621404)
Has it been reliable? How's the spam?

jeffpan 28 May 2021 03:02 PM

When I want to write an important email, the only choice in my thought is Gmail. :)

evfrson 28 May 2021 05:13 PM

Gmail

aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

chrisretusn 28 May 2021 06:05 PM

AOL
BlueHome
EuMX
Gmail
GMX
Outlook
Yahoo

Dutchie007 29 May 2021 09:19 PM

For work related stuff i use Gmail.

Everything else i use Yandex (free) since 2013.

Sometimes i also use mail.ru...which is a very fine (free) service.

Dutchie.

just1acc 30 May 2021 11:46 PM

1. ZOHO - FirstNameLastName - Official ID
2. Gmail - Username - Primary/Main/Catch All
3. Organisation Mail - FirstNameLastName
4. Outlook - FirstNameLastName - Reserved/Not Used
5. Domain Mail - Fancy/Not Used
6. Yahoo! - FirstNameLastName - Gmail forwards, so that I don't need to open Gmail/Primary ID in shared computers etc. Plus disposable emails.
7. EuMX.net - FirstNameLastName - Don't know why I've kept it. May be just different webmail versions to fun around.

hadaso 31 May 2021 06:22 AM

Fastmail (mostly with my own domain)

Spamgourmet
My work email address.

I also have a Gmail account since 2004, and a Hotmail account and Yahoo account since 1999 or perhaps 1998, but I don't really "use" them. They just exist, and sometimes get emails about changes in usage terms. I also have an email account from my ISP that is only used to receive their bill.
I use Fastmail for accessing almost all my email, including work email. Only rarely I open Outlook at the office to send mail internally at work. Most of the time I reply from Fastmail to work email.

truemagic 31 May 2021 11:23 AM

Gmail - Primary
Outlook (backup/internal use)

In my country if you spell an webmail provider other than gmail or hotmail over the phone (eg. bank officers, interviewers,etc) they will be like "what?" then I probably need to spend more time saying out character by character. So it's tedious to have a custom/new provider which is not as popular right now.

emoore 31 May 2021 12:08 PM

Fastmail is my main email provider. I recently got a inbox.eu account (its only $3/year) to evaluate it as an alternative as I'm worried about the direction Fastmail is moving.

I have Gmail (free), Outlook (free), Zoho (free), Comcast (my ISP), Vivaldi (free) and Yahoo (free) accounts that I use mainly to help test Thunderbird IMAP support. I rarely use webmail.

evfrson 31 May 2021 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emoore (Post 621463)
I'm worried about the direction Fastmail is moving.

I hope you don't mind me asking but what do you find worrying about Fastmail ?

I was thinking of trying them but if there is something I should know I would appreciate it.

emoore 1 Jun 2021 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evfrson (Post 621467)
I hope you don't mind me asking but what do you find worrying about Fastmail ?

I've had an account for over 18 years. They were a good choice if you wanted to use IMAP (before IMAP became available with most free email providers/ISPs and http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/imap/isps/) became obsolete), and had reasonable prices. You had a smaller mailbox than many free email providers but you had real support, the ability to do lots of customization and avoided the potential privacy issues of the well known free email providers.

They've gone up-scale (even the cheapest plan supports CalDAV/CardDAV), and recently quietly dropped support for POP/IMAP/SMTP in their cheapest plan. After almost 20 years the cheapest plan only has a 2GB mailbox. There are free email providers with 1TB mailboxes. There is support for numerous types of two-factor authentication for webmail but they have no plans for U2F/FIDO support for email clients (I know because I submitted a support ticket about it after Thunderbird version 60.0 added support for U2F/FIDO).

All of the recent development efforts seem to be for webmail or their mobile app. I don't use either.

There are a lot of things to like about Fastmail. They're reliable, SpamAssassin/Sieve works extremely well, no conflict of interest because their main business is mail, I stopped backing up my mail because I have confidence they won't lose any, they have a support ticket system (I even once got help from one of the founders), and they're a survivor (that is not a given). I'm a moderator in the MozillaZine forums and notice many other Fastmail users there.

They're pushing JMAP as a faster/better successor to IMAP though there aren't any Windows based email clients that support it yet. I'm looking forward to when Thunderbird adds support for it (its in the version 91+ roadmap). I'm still on a legacy plan (about $16/year due to multi-year discounts). I figured I'd have to upgrade to the basic plan ($30/year) when I wanted to use JMAP. It seems now I'd have to upgrade to at least a standard plan ($50/year) and possibly maybe even a professional plan ($90/year).

I don't have any plan to switch from Fastmail at the moment but the direction they are moving is causing me problems. I'm basically waiting to see how JMAP turns out.

evfrson 1 Jun 2021 06:27 PM

Thanks for your detailed reply.
I understand your frustration but your issues wouldn't affect me if I signed up.
However I am worried about the Australian authorities attitude to surveillance of email and the internet in general.

hadaso 1 Jun 2021 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evfrson (Post 621483)
... I am worried about the Australian authorities attitude to surveillance of email and the internet in general.

I think they said in the past that since they don't operate any kind of communications on Australian territory they are not subject to these regulations. All their servers are outside of Australia (mostly in the states). Also I understood that since they operate from Australia, American authorities need to go through international channels to legally force them to allow access to data. This might not be the case anymore since now they have an office in Philadelphia, in addition to their headquarters in Melbourne. Still they are an Australian company.

TenFour 1 Jun 2021 07:03 PM

My main issue with both Fastmail and POBox.com is that I have experienced long customer service delays with issues that should have been resolved immediately but instead went on for more than a week. My POBox.com issue was never resolved. Both had to do with adding or removing domains, preventing me from using them for email. I don't like to pay for bad cs, no matter how minor the issue.

trussrod 2 Jun 2021 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TenFour (Post 621402)
I experiment a lot, but at the moment:

1. Gmail as my main email handler, with my domain email as my main address used for most things forwarded from my domain registrar, using Google SMTP to send. I have several Gmail accounts for various things. Best spam/junk filtering and search, which would be hard to give up since it is the archive of all my email back to 2006.

How do you use Google SMTP to send emails that are not @gmail.com?

TenFour 2 Jun 2021 07:23 AM

Quote:

How do you use Google SMTP to send emails that are not @gmail.com?
It's sort of a funky workaround, but it is one option Google Domains recommends for those that want to send domain email without paying for email services somewhere. Works fine with personal domains, but no way to setup DKIM or DMARC. You can of course add an SPF record at your domain host and I recommend something like this to help ensure deliverability: v=spf1 include:_spf.google.com ~all

Google domains answer: https://support.google.com/domains/answer/9437157

webecedarian 23 Jun 2021 10:48 AM

My main ones are still

Hotmail

though I keep trying others - Proton, Gmail, etc. Don't like any of them.

And still open to any suggestions for free email that does not require anything like a telephone number.

:(

TenFour 24 Jun 2021 12:14 AM

Quote:

And still open to any suggestions for free email that does not require anything like a telephone number.
You can remove your phone number once you've signed up for Gmail, but you say you don't like it. If it's important I wouldn't recommend most free email services other than Gmail or Outlook.com. Free services are prone to disappear. What features are you looking for in a free email provider?

Mugwhamp 24 Jun 2021 09:00 AM

Fastmail (paid account since 2004): main account and central hub for all of the services below
Gmail: personal account though not used often for email
G Suite: work, managed through Fastmail
iCloud: not used for email
Outlook: not used for email
Yahoo: not used for email

mechanic 17 Sep 2021 06:59 PM

Strange that there are so many gmail users, when gmail is not even listed in the https://prxbx.com/email/ list - it's definitely not recommended. And using Australian based companies - don't these people read the newspapers?

TenFour 17 Sep 2021 07:19 PM

Quote:

Strange that there are so many gmail users,
Best spam filters, perfect deliverability (nobody blocks Gmail), tremendous security, a great ecosystem of services, decent storage and free. It's not surprising that many use Gmail since they're the biggest free email provider in the world! Worried about targeted ads? Don't interact with them. I hardly even look at the ads. Use ad blockers. Here's a good article about the supposed "privacy" issue: https://www.computerworld.com/articl...questions.html

Berenburger 17 Sep 2021 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mechanic (Post 622461)
Strange that there are so many gmail users, when gmail is not even listed in the https://prxbx.com/email/ list - it's definitely not recommended. And using Australian based companies - don't these people read the newspapers?

That list is a little outdated.

mechanic 18 Sep 2021 12:32 AM

Outdated, maybe, but did Google suddenly turn altruistic sometime in the last couple of years? Have they suddenly taken the customer's privacy to heart? I don't think so!

Bamb0 18 Sep 2021 11:36 AM

I use 2 right now

1) 19903.xyz/squirrelmail - THANK YOU JEFF :)
2) www.safe-mail.net/login

alexu2007 17 Nov 2021 06:41 PM

1. Protonmail (old paid email account with 18 Gb disk space - with my domain)
2. Infomaniak (paid email account - with my domain)
3. Inbox.eu (paid email account - with my domain)

Providers I no longer use:

1. Fastmail (even if I paid in advance for 2 more years)
2. Tutanota (too much downtime)
3. Tuffmail (closed business)

jdtaylor 18 Nov 2021 07:38 PM

Blue home.net is no longer an email service.

chrisretusn 19 Nov 2021 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdtaylor (Post 623465)
Blue home.net is no longer an email service.

It is? I am still using it. I regularly receive and send messages from that account. Just logged in to my account.

Bob D 19 Nov 2021 10:57 PM

Primary: EuMX
Secondary: Fastmail

somdcomputerguy 20 Nov 2021 01:07 AM

Fastmail (webmail & client)
my webhost's email (webmail & client)
ProtonMail (webmail)
my ISP's email (webmail & client)

I don't always access the emails thru their webmail interface and a client (interlink ATM, and probably for good) during the same 'computer session', but sometimes I do.

I also use Spamgourmet. I don't consider it to be or use it as a DEA service, but rather a forwarding service with its' own filter engine.

- Bruce

Berenburger 20 Nov 2021 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob D (Post 623501)
Primary: EuMX

You are a stayer. ;)