EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   FastMail Forum (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Enhanced v Standard Accounts? (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=72235)

dgittings 25 Oct 2016 04:13 PM

Enhanced v Standard Accounts?

So my "Enhanced" account has just come up for renewal? And the renewal screen is offering me the option to "upgrade" to a "Standard" account. Does this really offer me anything extra over my "Enhanced" account?

Terry 25 Oct 2016 07:58 PM

I thought it was the same thing.

Possibly just a little more storage.

David 25 Oct 2016 11:17 PM

If you upgrade your account to 'Standard' you can't go back to enhanced - at the price the enhanced account is a good deal....

akorvemaker 26 Oct 2016 05:36 AM

Most of the options under Settings... Admin... Policy are unavailable to those of us with Enhanced.

Apart from that, and different storage quotas, I believe they're quite similar.

dgittings 26 Oct 2016 02:03 PM

Many thanks for all the advice. Looks like it makes sense to stick with Enhanced.

NumberSix 30 Oct 2016 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 597667)
If you upgrade your account to 'Standard' you can't go back to enhanced - at the price the enhanced account is a good deal....

David has come closest, but not quite said out loud what should be pointed out: Enhanced is one of the old, now no longer offered, plans, and you can keep using it under a "grandfather" type arrangement. It should be $40/yr, right? Standard is one of the new plan choices, with apparently similar features, for $10/yr more. So I concur that staying with Enhanced is a no-brainer :)

n5bb 31 Oct 2016 07:14 AM

Comparison between Enhanced and Standard accounts

Looking at Help, here are the differences. It appears that all other features (such as sending and receiving limits) are identical between the new Standard and legacy Enhanced accounts:
Code:

Plan:        Standard        Enhanced (legacy)   
Cost:        US $50/year    US $40/year
Mail storage: 25 GB            15 GB
File storage: 10 GB            5 GB

So upgrading from Enhanced to Standard results in:
  • A cost increase factor of X1.25 ($50/$40).
  • A mail storage increase factor of X1.66 (25GB/15GB)
  • A file storage increase factor of X2 (10GB/5GB)
So the Standard account has a lower price per GB of storage if you need the additional space (75% for mail storage and 63% for file storage). I'm currently using 47% of my Enhanced mail storage quota and 9% of my file storage quota, so I have no reason to upgrade at this time.

Bill

17pm 31 Oct 2016 05:24 PM

There's also some other differences n5bb. The enhanced accounts can't use the things available in settings-policy.

Also, I bet new features will not be available for old accounts..

jhollington 31 Oct 2016 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 17pm (Post 597731)
There's also some other differences n5bb. The enhanced accounts can't use the things available in settings-policy.

Such as? I'm still on "Enhanced" so I'm guessing that I'm not seeing any of these new settings... I've got Company, Custom Login, and Disclaimer on mine, although it's worth noting that my account is actually an Enhanced under a "Family" plan, so that might be a different story too...

akorvemaker 31 Oct 2016 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhollington (Post 597736)
Such as? I'm still on "Enhanced" so I'm guessing that I'm not seeing any of these new settings... I've got Company, Custom Login, and Disclaimer on mine, although it's worth noting that my account is actually an Enhanced under a "Family" plan, so that might be a different story too...

I can see the settings too (on Enhanced). Can you use them? I get a message saying I need to upgrade.

sflorack 1 Nov 2016 12:46 AM

Legacy Enhanced accounts also get multi-year renewal discounts (i.e. 3 years for $100), which I don't think Standard accounts receive. That drives the price down to $33.33/year.

jhollington 1 Nov 2016 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akorvemaker (Post 597738)
I can see the settings too (on Enhanced). Can you use them? I get a message saying I need to upgrade.

Yes, I can use them, but again, my Enhanced account is part of the old "Family" plan so I'm guess that's probably why.

jhollington 1 Nov 2016 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflorack (Post 597739)
Legacy Enhanced accounts also get multi-year renewal discounts (i.e. 3 years for $100), which I don't think Standard accounts receive. That drives the price down to $33.33/year.

Are the multi-year renewal discounts still available on the legacy plans? I'm still months out from having to renew, but right now if I want to renew early, the only option I see is for one year.

akorvemaker 1 Nov 2016 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhollington (Post 597741)
Are the multi-year renewal discounts still available on the legacy plans? I'm still months out from having to renew, but right now if I want to renew early, the only option I see is for one year.

IIRC, Family plans don't have the multi-year option.

jhollington 1 Nov 2016 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akorvemaker (Post 597743)
IIRC, Family plans don't have the multi-year option.

Well, that would explain it then :) Thanks.