EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   FastMail Forum (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Feature Request: Integrated rss2email-like solution (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=74408)

yakubin 26 May 2019 06:44 AM

Feature Request: Integrated rss2email-like solution

There is a tool called rss2email which sends RSS/Atom feed updates to a given email address. However, its interface (CLI) isn't the most user-friendly, there is cron job configuration involved and I think it would be a lot nicer to have it integrated at the Fastmail level with a web interface for subscribing/unsubscribing to feeds, automatically placing the "update mails" in appropriate folders etc. Perhaps other users would want that as well.

Berenburger 26 May 2019 08:48 AM

I doubt it. But do you know about Blogtrotrr?

xyzzy 26 May 2019 10:48 AM

FWIW, for any feature request, bug report, or whatever you should create a support ticket with FastMail support.

akorvemaker 31 May 2019 02:11 AM

I'd love it, but I also just use Blogtrottr. I've been with them since 2012. They've been very good.

I think email is a fantastic way of processing RSS feeds. I've used other RSS-to-email services since 2005. Most of them have (sadly) disappeared after about 3 years. I'd hate to have a separate newsreader to go to. Having my news sitting in a folder on FM just simplifies things, and the interface is exactly the same as the one I use all day for email.

JeremyNicoll 31 May 2019 05:23 PM

RSS feeds have always annoyed me, because somehow I never got into any sort of routine to check those that interest me. So seeing two recommendations here for Blogtrotrr has been really useful. Thanks!

somdcomputerguy 1 Jun 2019 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyNicoll (Post 610265)
So seeing two recommendations here for Blogtrotrr has been really useful. Thanks!

I found those suggestions enlightening also. I am trying the service. I have been using it since last night, and so far I'm pretty happy with it. So, another Thanks!

edit: Turns out I had tried this service about 6 years ago. I have no idea or recollection why I had stopped using it.

Gankaku 2 Jun 2019 05:26 AM

Hmm I may try this service. My problem with RSS feed readers is that usually the old stuff drops off the bottom, and you're only presented with the most recent items. That's nice and all, but I barely can get to everything and what articles might I have missed? Then I have to go to the website (rarely happens) to read their back articles.

I may set up a folder in my fastmail and filter some feeds there with this tool and see how I like it.

somdcomputerguy 2 Jun 2019 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gankaku (Post 610270)
Hmm I may try this service. My problem with RSS feed readers is that usually the old stuff drops off the bottom, and you're only presented with the most recent items. That's nice and all, but I barely can get to everything and what articles might I have missed? Then I have to go to the website (rarely happens) to read their back articles.

I use the service (ATM..) for forum feeds. Good thing for me there's only a few websites that I don't mind going to.. :cool:

akorvemaker 2 Jun 2019 06:36 AM

I'm currently using it for 70 feeds, many of which update infrequently. Most are set to give me a batch of updates 1/day; a few are set to every 4-6 hours.

somdcomputerguy 2 Jun 2019 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akorvemaker (Post 610273)
Most are set to give me a batch of updates 1/day; a few are set to every 4-6 hours.

That's pretty close 'config' setup that I have.

-bruce