EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   FastMail Forum (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   UI Update (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=79011)

Terry 24 Jan 2022 07:26 AM

UI Update
 
I like the recent update to the UI

DumbGuy 24 Jan 2022 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry (Post 624412)
I like the recent update to the UI

There is more to come but some is still on the Beta at the moment.


I just noticed it kick in on webmail/desktop just now. I'm still exploring...

Terry 24 Jan 2022 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DumbGuy (Post 624413)
I just noticed it kick in on webmail/desktop just now. I'm still exploring...

Looks like a lot more is out of Beta....:D

JeffK 24 Jan 2022 07:55 AM

I don't like the imo excess space around the messages in the list. I hope that is optional.

easemail 24 Jan 2022 12:10 PM

Not too bad, but man... that space to the right of the compose button... that's off-putting. Can't get equal spacing around it even if you drag the divider completely to the left (which squishes the edit & find button together on the bottom.) That little thing makes the screen feel really off to me. :confused:

Terry 24 Jan 2022 12:13 PM

Perhaps in the center

easemail 24 Jan 2022 12:28 PM

Centering would look wrong as well in my opinion. Just need the button to go out more like this: https://imgur.com/a/jvzygfY

JoeR 24 Jan 2022 01:29 PM

Is there a way to revert? I hate the constant pointless changes to the UI.

hans2010 24 Jan 2022 02:14 PM

The new UI changes are not good. They are prioritizing trendiness over usefulness.

The current trend in UI design is to assume users have fewer brain cells than they used to have, and therefore, they think the screen should have less useful content than it had before. It's unfortunate that FastMail has succumbed to this trend.

The trend is to have more white space and therefore less content per screen. The number of folders in the folder list is fewer than before, which serves no useful purpose, it just makes me have to do more scrolling. Same goes for having fewer messages listed in the message list (such as the Inbox or folder). They do this by increasing the white space between items, the result being fewer items per screen, then you have to do more scrolling.

Why do they assume our brains can't handle looking at more than a small number of things at a time?

In the folder list in the left panel, the new message count (next to the folder name) used to have a borderline around it, which is now removed. I think the borderline helped the number to stand out from the other information (and I'd assume that's why it was there in the first place). In other words, it was useful.

I'm wondering if the people working there are all new, and they don't know why the design choices in the previous UI were made in the first place, and when they don't understand why something is there, they just throw it out.

Is that design methodology good for users? In my opinion, no.

Terry 24 Jan 2022 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffK (Post 624415)
I don't like the imo excess space around the messages in the list. I hope that is optional.

If it is where I think you mean you can slide the bar left or right.

JeffK 24 Jan 2022 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry (Post 624423)
If it is where I think you mean you can slide the bar left or right.

No Terry; I mean the message list not the folder list. And the vertical spacing around the messages.

Cheers Jeff

Terry 24 Jan 2022 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffK (Post 624424)
No Terry; I mean the message list not the folder list. And the vertical spaing around the messages.

Cheers Jeff

Ok....just a thought what about changing the default font in your account settings.
I have not tried that yet.
May need F/m intervention in the spacing.

gardenweed 24 Jan 2022 03:37 PM

So far, I find it's fine.
Prior to this new UI, I used the "Compact" theme, I think that's what is was called.
It's gone now.
So - per other peoples comments - the new UI is more spaced out.
But it seems fine.
Nice to be able to change the colour scheme. I'll probably do that once in a while.

JeffK 24 Jan 2022 03:38 PM

Bring Compact back

Terry 24 Jan 2022 03:49 PM

No... I'm old and cant read it, perhaps have 2 options.

hadaso 24 Jan 2022 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hans2010 (Post 624421)
...
The current trend in UI design is to assume users have fewer brain cells than they used to have,
....

Not fewer, only less functional...

In the distant past Fastmail had several themes for the user to choose from, with at least one of them for users that want to maximize content visible in one screen.

JeffK 24 Jan 2022 04:07 PM

Terry, I don't think the font is any larger, just less can be seen on the screen.

JoeR 24 Jan 2022 04:33 PM

If there was an alternative to fastmail that didn't constantly get all "edgy" with the ui had lots of domains included & allowed me loads of aliases per account (like Fastmail) & sieve.

I would seriously pay half my subscription again on top. Stop changing it or at least allow the option of keeping the old basic look & decide on the font ourselves

nudge 24 Jan 2022 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeR (Post 624420)
Is there a way to revert? I hate the constant pointless changes to the UI.

Same here ! Seriously there's nothing worse than starting work on a Monday morning and finding Fastmail have once again decided they know best. Having to deal with unwanted UI changes that are basically, just devs finding a reason to justify their work. If they think dumbing down their long term users is a valid stategy I'll be looking around for other options.

Fastmail are not Apple, a cavalier approach to their users will end badly for them.

Gsptlsnz 24 Jan 2022 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeR (Post 624433)
If there was an alternative to fastmail that didn't constantly get all "edgy" with the ui had lots of domains included & allowed me loads of aliases per account (like Fastmail) & sieve.

I would seriously pay half my subscription again on top. Stop changing it or at least allow the option of keeping the old basic look & decide on the font ourselves

Yes! The previous UI was good as it was and there should be an option to keep that design.

JoeR 24 Jan 2022 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gsptlsnz (Post 624436)
Yes! The previous UI was good as it was and there should be an option to keep that design.

All forced unnecessary UI changes do for me are get me to do a web search on alternative providers.
Fastmail are top notch at most things, but I use this all day, mess with the UI (AGAIN!) & I'm majorly annoyed.

But the aliases, loads of included domains & sieve are the killers for me, need/want them etc. So I'm stuck with Fastmail I don't think anyone else provides these three things

odedp 24 Jan 2022 06:55 PM

I can't see any significant changes :confused:
(Maybe the font is a little different...)
Can someone post a screenshot please?

NJSS 24 Jan 2022 07:38 PM

I really don't like the new UI.

If you are in a folder you have the header which allows you to select "All mail, Unread, Pinned & VIP".

If you select today's mail, yesterday's mail etc.. there is no header.

NJSS

hadaso 24 Jan 2022 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odedp (Post 624439)
I can't see any significant changes :confused:
...

There are no significant changes, as I see it, except perhaps the location (and some added functionality) of the search bar, and consequently in message view the action buttons moved from the first row to the second row, Which takes so time to get used to (but no one mentioned this in this thread. I've been using beta during the last few weeks, so I'm past the getting used to the new button locations by now).
There is a minor change of additional vertical spacing, that becomes a major change if you have many folders and are used to several of them always showing, because now you have to scroll down to see some folders, and the same with the message list: if you get a lot of new messages, more of them would require scrolling down.
So the changes are quite small, and become major only for heavy users.

digp 24 Jan 2022 08:12 PM

Can anyone recommend an Exchange provider in Europe or the UK.

Data encryption at rest a must.

Many thanks.

odedp 24 Jan 2022 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hadaso (Post 624445)
There are no significant changes, as I see it, except perhaps the location (and some added functionality) of the search bar, and consequently in message view the action buttons moved from the first row to the second row, Which takes so time to get used to (but no one mentioned this in this thread. I've been using beta during the last few weeks, so I'm past the getting used to the new button locations by now).
There is a minor change of additional vertical spacing, that becomes a major change if you have many folders and are used to several of them always showing, because now you have to scroll down to see some folders, and the same with the message list: if you get a lot of new messages, more of them would require scrolling down.
So the changes are quite small, and become major only for heavy users.

Thank you :)

bipbop 24 Jan 2022 09:35 PM

Did the UI change to dark mode for anyone else using light here? Easy to fix, of course. I like the new UI. It's more clean looking. Other than that, I can't say I noticed anything out of place. So I have no complaints.

Scratch that. Hovering over mail subjects no longer expands them. Hope they'll fix that.

earlybird 25 Jan 2022 01:11 AM

I find the new UI harder to read. The previous look was superior, in my opinion. I had to enable "bold buttons style" to get some degree of readability/structure back in message view. It's not good to make everything flat and remove button boundaries.

I find the "compose" button funny. It looks oddly out of place now whereas in the previous design, it was perfectly fine. The previous design solved that problem well, the current design, not so much.

Fastmail guys: If a design has worked for 4 years with minor tweaks (when I onboarded) --- it works 4 more. The UI with minor tweaks to accommodate the new sidebar, compliment some icon changes etc was really good. Not saying the new look is just bad. Just that the old one had clear upsides.

Well I saw it coming in the beta and Fastmail still has the best webmail, so what gives.

earlybird 25 Jan 2022 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bipbop (Post 624454)
Did the UI change to dark mode for anyone else using light here? Easy to fix, of course. I like the new UI. It's more clean looking. Other than that, I can't say I noticed anything out of place. So I have no complaints.

Scratch that. Hovering over mail subjects no longer expands them. Hope they'll fix that.

It might be that unlike before, the UI software defaults to the system theme first then applies the user preference which might glitch, and due to the change in the structure of the UI theme settings, it didn't respect your previously selected preference.

bipbop 25 Jan 2022 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earlybird (Post 624456)
It might be that unlike before, the UI software defaults to the system theme first then applies the user preference which might glitch, and due to the change in the structure of the UI theme settings, it didn't respect your previously selected preference.

I don't think this is something that can be set in prefs. At least I can't find it anywhere.

Ladrillo 25 Jan 2022 05:27 AM

I love the new UI. THANK YOU

Terry 25 Jan 2022 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hadaso (Post 624445)
So the changes are quite small, and become major only for heavy users.

But you can go to settings and change the colors etc.

Gsptlsnz 25 Jan 2022 06:07 AM

You can use 'Stylus' for FireFox to change the look.

Terry 25 Jan 2022 06:46 AM

Yes I already do that.:D

smtper 25 Jan 2022 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gsptlsnz (Post 624462)
You can use 'Stylus' for FireFox to change the look.

Do you have a style that reverts all the latest changes? The ones I've found don't seem to do much and only change the font but doesn't change spacing or shades. Thanks.

Gsptlsnz 25 Jan 2022 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smtper (Post 624465)
Do you have a style that reverts all the latest changes? The ones I've found don't seem to do much and only change the font but doesn't change spacing or shades. Thanks.

working on it... :D

NumberSix 25 Jan 2022 06:18 PM

I don't hate the recent UI look-n-feel changes... they are minimal... but for that reason, I don't see why any change really needed to happen. What has actually improved? I like the old look-n-feel a bit better.

And as noted in another thread, they broke the tooltip display of sender's address when you hover over the sender in mailbox list view, something I used often. I'll put in a report soon, though I'm sure someone else has done it already, and I expect FM will fix it.

Terry 25 Jan 2022 06:22 PM

Perhaps there needs to be 2 compose buttons or a large button as there seems a lot of wasted space....perhaps fit in a small log out button...:D

JoeR 25 Jan 2022 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gsptlsnz (Post 624466)
working on it... :D

I hope you realise that some of us will hold you to that :D

Gsptlsnz 25 Jan 2022 11:35 PM

if there are tweaks you want, then post them NOW and I will add them if I can.


All times are GMT +9. The time now is 01:49 PM.


Copyright EmailDiscussions.com 1998-2013. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy