EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   FastMail Forum (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Aliases and privacy? (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=73611)

md2 6 Mar 2018 02:07 AM

Aliases and privacy?

Anyway an alias can be connected to the primary address or to the IP address?

xenas 6 Mar 2018 02:31 PM

Yes, it can to the primary address. But Alias meaning another e-mail?

md2 6 Mar 2018 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xenas (Post 605765)
Yes, it can to the primary address. But Alias meaning another e-mail?

Exactly how? As far as I can tell neither my IP address or my primary Fastmail address appears in the receiving header when I send an email using an alias.

misc 6 Mar 2018 09:05 PM

Hi md2, welcome to the forum!

The intention of your initial question wasn't clear to me, but yes, you're right. The receiver of an email won't see your primary FastMail address or your IP, at least as long as you use the FastMail web client. Not sure if there are some POP or IMAP clients that may reveal that information in their headers.

Cheers,
Michael

n5bb 6 Mar 2018 09:29 PM

Welcome to the EMD Forums! :)

If you use the FastMail web interface to send from an alias at your account, the recipient will not be able to determine your FastMail primary (login) address or your computer IP address. They can see in the full headers that the message was originated at FastMail using the web interface and sent through their outgoing server.

If you use a local email client connected to FastMail to send a message the results are the same except that your PC IP address will be visible to the recipient. The FastMail outgoing SMTP server will add a header with that information, as is done for most servers when relaying a message.

Bill

md2 7 Mar 2018 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misc (Post 605767)
Hi md2, welcome to the forum!

Thank you!
Quote:

The intention of your initial question wasn't clear to me, but yes, you're right. The receiver of an email won't see your primary FastMail address or your IP, at least as long as you use the FastMail web client. Not sure if there are some POP or IMAP clients that may reveal that information in their headers.

Cheers,
Michael
I almost thought so, but better to be sure. Thanks for the info.

Quote:

Originally Posted by n5bb (Post 605768)
Welcome to the EMD Forums! :)

Thank you!
Quote:

If you use the FastMail web interface to send from an alias at your account, the recipient will not be able to determine your FastMail primary (login) address or your computer IP address. They can see in the full headers that the message was originated at FastMail using the web interface and sent through their outgoing server.

If you use a local email client connected to FastMail to send a message the results are the same except that your PC IP address will be visible to the recipient. The FastMail outgoing SMTP server will add a header with that information, as is done for most servers when relaying a message.

Bill
Very good to know about local email clients since I'm using Thunderbird most of the time due to the lack of search in the calendar. Thanks.