EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   The Off-Topic Lounge (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Four Letter Word Game (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=56769)

David 22 Mar 2010 06:26 AM

Many believe that Swans (while living) are mute. The term 'Swan Song' did in fact originate because many believed that a Swan would only sing (beautifully and mournfully) just before it died. They obviously were away when your film clip was being recorded.

Perhaps this legend is true :cool:

n5bb 22 Mar 2010 10:08 AM

I can only imagine a few WAYS that the Trumpeter Swan was named, and silence isn't one. There is also a Mute Swan, which is less vocal than other swan species.

janusz 23 Mar 2010 02:20 AM

The name "Trumpeter Swan" indeed SAYS that the bird in question isn't silent. It does not imply, however that it sings (just before expiring, or in other more cheerful circumstances). May be it plays the trumpet?;)

n5bb 23 Mar 2010 10:38 AM

For most animals there are appropriate times when it PAYS to let others know where you are.

SusanUKF 23 Mar 2010 10:41 AM

A few thousand DAYS ago my eldest daughter was bit quite badly by a swan at a Children's theme park we went to as a family. Since then she has not really been terribly fond of them.

Yes, one doesn't normally say a few thousand days ago I know.... but it works for the game and it was a few years ago... :rolleyes:

n5bb 23 Mar 2010 11:02 AM

That sounds worse than an attack by angry blue JAYS. :eek:

SusanUKF 24 Mar 2010 12:53 AM

I love seeing the Blue Jays and other birds on the grass getting worms after the Spring rains have come, and before all the Sun's RAYS dry the earth again.

She was only about 9 at the time and she wanted to pet it and it attacked her hand and made a few marks and drew some blood but didn't leave scars, just caused her to cry and be distraught at the time and to remember it when she sees any since ofcourse.

janusz 24 Mar 2010 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SusanUKF (Post 499485)
she wanted to pet it and it attacked her hand and made a few marks and drew some blood

RATS! I didn't know swans can be so aggressive.,,, Was it a female protecting her nest or cygnets?

n5bb 24 Mar 2010 07:01 AM

Let's call out the CATS. They will get rid of the rats and the birds!

SusanUKF 24 Mar 2010 09:13 AM

It certainly helps to wear HATS in the summer-time when certain birds are flying around!

There were two swans and various types of ducks and some Canadian Geese in a little pond area, and there was a very low-level painted wooden fence, that came half-way on the swans. They were looking quite tranquil and her hand shot out and it happened quickly, before we could even stop her touching it and I am not sure if it was a female or male but it wasn't protecting any eggs or youngsters as far as I know. It wasn't major or anything, it just always comes to mind when I think of Swans is all.

n5bb 24 Mar 2010 09:40 AM

Covering your head also helps keep BATS out of your hair. Obviously you don't want to have bats in the belfry! :p

janusz 24 Mar 2010 07:18 PM

Sure, a hat will BATE the force of a bat (crash)landing on your head.

SusanUKF 25 Mar 2010 10:07 AM

I would really HATE a bat landing on my head or anywhere on me, that would make me scream!!

n5bb 27 Mar 2010 10:27 AM

If bats HAZE you, there are steps you can take to keep them away from your belfry.

David 27 Mar 2010 11:44 AM

I would recommend to do the above on one of those hazy, lazy, crazy, days of summer.