EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   Runbox Forum (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   i wish runbox can have apple push like fastmail (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=72483)

alvinh 9 Feb 2017 11:58 PM

i wish runbox can have apple push like fastmail

like title, i wish runbox can implement apple push like fastmail. i think it will boost selling, good price and nice feature ( for ios user ofcourse)

they said it on their road map, jusr hope not take long time

soromak 10 Feb 2017 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alvinh (Post 599870)
like title, i wish runbox can implement apple push like fastmail. i think it will boost selling, good price and nice feature ( for ios user ofcourse)

they said it on their road map, jusr hope not take long time

Agreed, this would be a deal breaker.

DigitalOrchard 10 Feb 2017 06:18 AM

We were all very patient while they rolled out two-factor authentication. It took much longer than we all expected, but now it's clear why — they were launching that with an entirely new set of servers. And along with that, they reportedly implemented an improved development process for new features and functionality. If this is effective, it should translate into quicker roll-outs of new features and enhancements.

I build and maintain rather complex systems, so I know how overwhelming it can be to move a large and complex system forward while thousands of people are using it every minute of every day. There's just no margin for error, and I've observed Runbox being extremely cautious with the roll-out of their new systems. I appreciate that greatly, so they have my patience.

I have a long list of fixes and improvements that I'd like to see, and Push for IMAP is definitely something that would be good to have.

dbowdley 10 Feb 2017 06:11 PM

Runbox already supports "push" email in the form of the standard IMAP IDLE feature. This works with email clients that support this including Apple Mail on macOS.

iOS does not support IMAP IDLE, and requires the use of Apple's Push Notification service (which introduces a third-party and possible privacy concerns for customers).

However, it is a commonly requested feature, and we are looking at if we can provide this in the future.

alvinh 12 Feb 2017 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbowdley (Post 599886)
Runbox already supports "push" email in the form of the standard IMAP IDLE feature. This works with email clients that support this including Apple Mail on macOS.

iOS does not support IMAP IDLE, and requires the use of Apple's Push Notification service (which introduces a third-party and possible privacy concerns for customers).

However, it is a commonly requested feature, and we are looking at if we can provide this in the future.

great... hope can have a good news...

best regards

alvin

soromak 12 Feb 2017 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbowdley (Post 599886)

AFAIK FastMail solution is not a third party. They just managed to get Apple to issue an authentification certificate for them, and the rest of the protocol is described for dovecot.

dbowdley 13 Feb 2017 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soromak (Post 599927)
AFAIK FastMail solution is not a third party. They just managed to get Apple to issue an authentification certificate for them, and the rest of the protocol is described for dovecot.

From the FastMail blog regarding Mail on iOS:

"Upon seeing that the IMAP server offers support for Apple's push mechanism, the app sends the server a list of folders that its interested in knowing about changes for, and a push token. Just as described above, when something changes the IMAP server sends a message through Apple's push service, which causes the Mail app to wake and make IMAP requests to get the changes."

https://blog.fastmail.com/2016/12/21...lk-about-push/

They also note about their own app that:

"...there's arguably a privacy concern in that we're sending fragments of mail contents through a third-party service (though you already have to trust Apple if you're using their hardware so it's perhaps not a concern)."

I think as they say above, if you opted in to Apple's system, and can always choose "Fetch" instead of "Push", then really it is up to the customer how they handle this.

As I said, it is a popular request, so we will look seriously at what we can do here for customers.

alvinh 14 Feb 2017 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbowdley (Post 599929)

"Upon seeing that the IMAP server offers support for Apple's push mechanism, the app sends the server a list of folders that its interested in knowing about changes for, and a push token. Just as described above, when something changes the IMAP server sends a message through Apple's push service, which causes the Mail app to wake and make IMAP requests to get the changes."

https://blog.fastmail.com/2016/12/21...lk-about-push/

They also note about their own app that:

"...there's arguably a privacy concern in that we're sending fragments of mail contents through a third-party service (though you already have to trust Apple if you're using their hardware so it's perhaps not a concern)."

I think as they say above, if you opted in to Apple's system, and can always choose "Fetch" instead of "Push", then really it is up to the customer how they handle this.

As I said, it is a popular request, so we will look seriously at what we can do here for customers.

great news, that will be great feature

mikev99 16 Jul 2017 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbowdley (Post 599929)

[Snip]

Any idea of a timeframe? I am looking at options for Tuffmail and would like to have Push on my iPad/iPhone.

Geir 21 Jul 2017 09:15 AM

We have started working on this feature, which shouldn't be very complicated.

- Geir

soromak 27 Jul 2017 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geir (Post 603233)

- Geir

Once you have this feature, match or of course even better beat FM with storage (not only mail but also files) and I am in ;)

kaisersoze 13 Feb 2018 02:17 AM

Well, are there any updates? I have tested a runbox account on my phone and only fetch works, not push

Thanks

soromak 12 Mar 2018 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geir (Post 603233)

- Geir

Do you have any timeline for this not very complicated feature?