EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   FastMail Forum (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Changing From Name (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=72406)

sheprd 10 Jan 2017 11:50 PM

Changing From Name

In classic version a user could usually change from line except I tried to change it to an address where I have an address using my own domain. Got error message " doesn't seem to be a valid address" Using new interface it lets me change from address but includes my regular address. This defeats purpose of changing from line in my opinion Just my 3 cents worth

jhollington 10 Jan 2017 11:57 PM

Just to be clear, what do you mean "includes my regular address?"

I seem to recall that the classic interface provided some more latitude for changing your "From" name, whereas the current interface limits you to selecting from your personalities, but as long as your personalities are configured correctly, it should still work. At least it works as expected for me....

sheprd 11 Jan 2017 02:47 AM

Thanks for your response.What I was saying about new interface when I inserted an address from an acct I have using my own domain. It would show FROM added address and include regular address. I may have missed something in the process. I will try again

jhollington 11 Jan 2017 03:28 AM

So this is in the settings? Are you adding this under "Aliases" or "Identities/Fetch"?

Aliases are for incoming mail, so your own address there is just to show the "real" account that incoming messages are forwarded to. I believe adding an alias will also add the corresponding identity under "Identities/Fetch" so there's no need to complete this step separately.

That said, you'll want to visit the "Identities/Fetch" section if you want to custom other settings, like using a different "From" name for that particular alias — it will default to the same name you use for your FastMail account otherwise.

You can also add an identity without an alias if you want to, but shouldn't do this for addresses in your own domain, as you wouldn't be able to receive replies sent to that address.

sheprd 11 Jan 2017 04:34 AM

What I am trying to do, Classic interface does it is

send an email FROM; user@fastmail and
have it appear FROM: user at gmail

what it allows is FROM User at Gmail (user at fastmail)

Maybe I am overlooking something

jhollington 11 Jan 2017 05:44 AM

So where are you seeing "FROM User at Gmail (user at fastmail)"? Is this what the recipient is seeing, or is this something you're seeing in the FastMail interface?

Are you using an actual Gmail address or is that just an example? You'd said earlier "where I have an address using my own domain" so I'm unclear whether this is an address on a domain you own, and if so, is this a domain that's otherwise hosted with FastMail or are you using a "Fastmail.fm" or similar common domain?

I'm going to assume you've configured the second address under Identities & Fetch in Settings as that's the only way to use an alternate FROM address in the new interface — you only get the drop-down list and can't use "edit" to just type in your own FROM address.

Identities & Fetch is the new "Personalities" section in the new interface. If you're using a personality that you set up in the classic interface, I'm wondering if that has something to do with it — maybe some kind of glitch in the transition? Might be worth going into Identities & Fetch in the new interface settings and make sure everything there looks the way it should.

The bottom line is that this definitely isn't a problem for me at all, so there's got to be something either strange with your configuration of your account..... In my case, I have several FROM addresses configured and they all work fine without showing any indication of my "real" email address, there's not even any indication buried anywhere in the headers. I'm using my own domain hosted at FastMail, and have some secondary FROM addresses in my own domain as well as some on external providers (which send through those providers' SMTP servers).

sheprd 11 Jan 2017 07:14 AM

I went to identities fetch and set it to gmail. and send an email to eumx

when eumx gets email it shows From me at gmail (me at fastmail)

it should show only me at gmail

jhollington 11 Jan 2017 08:25 AM

Strange. What level of FastMail account are you using? Are you using your own domain or a common FastMail domain?

I'm using a legacy Family Enhanced account with my own domain. While I can't speak for what eumx might be doing, I know that when I send a message from my FastMail account as my Gmail address, there's absolutely no sign of FastMail anywhere in the headers, so I can't see where eumx would be picking that up from at all.

I know that some systems — Microsoft Exchange, Outlook, and Gmail in particular, but perhaps eumx as well — will read different headers within the email message, and if the various "FROM" headers don't match, you get this "Sent on behalf of" situation where it discloses the "real" address used to send the message (also known as the "envelope" address). However, I've just tested all of this in my setup, sending test messages from my FastMail account, via my Gmail account, to other services like iCloud and Hotmail, and then examine the actual raw headers, and I don't see my own domain anywhere in the headers.

That said, if you're using a fastmail.fm domain or similar, the behaviour might be different than using your own domain name. However, regardless of this, I really don't see why the new interface should behave in any way differently from the classic interface in that regard, as this would seem to be more of a back-end thing.... I wouldn't think the web UI would normally have anything to do with what headers are being set.

Are you using the Gmail identity you configured in the "Personalities" section of the classic interface settings or did you configure it under "Identities & Fetch" in the new interface? That might make a different, particularly with Gmail since the new UI actually uses full Gmail authentication and therefore might configure things differently to line up with the new interface, whereas on the classic interface you have to specify all of your settings manually.

Further, if you configured manually in the classic interface and you're not using Gmail's SMTP server to send your outbound messages, it's very possible that this may be part of the issue, since in this case eumx would be receiving a message from a "gmail.com" address from servers that aren't authorized to send for gmail.com. Best practice is to always configure your personality/identity settings to use the provider's own SMTP server. Setting up a Gmail identity in the new interface does this automatically.

jhollington 11 Jan 2017 08:33 AM

Okay, just to add to this, I just tested this specifically using my own account — I created a new "personality" for my Gmail address in the classic interface, and then tried sending messages from there using both the classic and the new interfaces.

Again, I can't speak to what eumx might specifically be doing, as I don't have an account there, but based on the examination of the headers, I can't see any indication of my original address being disclosed, so I don't even see anywhere eumx could possibly be getting it from.

In fact, even if you're NOT using Gmail's SMTP server for your Gmail personality/identity, while the message will fail certain checks, there's no way for them to determine your FastMail address from that, merely that the message came from a server not authorized to send mail for Gmail.com (and the server name in that case wouldn't even be FastMail, but rather "messagingengine.com").

There's also still nothing I can see that would explain why it would work in classic but not in the new interface, other than some difference in how Gmail personalities are handled. I'd still recommend trying to re-create the Gmail personality as an "identity" in the new UI and see if that helps, as the new UI takes specific steps to authenticate and configure a Gmail account "properly" rather than letting you tweak settings manually.

sheprd 11 Jan 2017 08:57 AM

Thanks so much I realize you are putting in a lot of effort. With classic i can do gmail and runbox however i have a domain hosted with RB and cannot do that address, comes back that don't appear to be a valid address.

cannot do any with new interface with out my FM address being shown along with desired address. Think I will give up for tonight. might try again tomorrow. Thank you so much. I appreciate your patience

BritTim 11 Jan 2017 09:20 AM

I am also finding this an interesting thread. I was wondering, initially, if EUMX was doing some clever analysis when SPF checks failed, working out what the SMTP server was and displaying extra information accordingly. However, that would not allow display of the user, only the sending server.

I am curious about the full headers of the received email. Would it be possible to obfuscate the individually identifiable information and post the full headers here?

EDIT: one minute, I think I know what may be happening. If your default alias in the Gmail account is to send from your Fastmail email address, and you have the Gmail address as an alias, then I think you get the behavior you are observing. Is this the situation?

sheprd 11 Jan 2017 11:34 AM

Thanks Brit Tim for your response. I don't have a gmail alias. I have a gmail address
me at gmail dot com

n5bb 11 Jan 2017 01:19 PM

I'm as confused as the other posters about this report. If I create a personality (or use a wildcard personality) with a non-Fastmail From domain, the characters "fastmail" do not appear in the raw content of the message as received.
  • Can you examine the full headers (or raw message) which was received and post the From header content? You should munge (change) the part to the left of @ and replace any custom domain by "mydomain" in any addresses, but please leave any Fastmail owned domain as-is.
  • Also, can you use the current Fastmail interface and look at the Settings>Identities & Fetch entry for the identity you are using to send these messages. Click Show advanced preferences and tell us if you have anything in these areas:
    • Reply To: (normally contains the From address shown at the top of the page -- let us know if it's different)
    • Send via: (if this is checked, the email is sent through some other non-Fastmail SMTP server)
Some additional questions and comments:
  • Are you sure you aren't using any email forwarding or POP email transfer along the way?
  • Do you have your domain hosted at Fastmail, so that it appears on the Settings>Domains screen?
  • DMARC, SPF, and DKIM are being used by more and more domains to prevent spammers and spoofers from sending messages from servers not associated with the domain or otherwise spoofing email content. So even though you may want to create From headers at non-Fastmail domains when sending from Fastmail, this technique already causes problems and in the near future will cause these messages to be rejected if you use domains which use a strict DMARC policy. So if you want to stay out of trouble, send Gmail through Gmail servers, Outlook.com/Hotmail.com through hotmail.com servers, etc.
  • If you don't have a DMARC or SPF policy published for a domain you own, you can send through any SMTP server you want. But so can others spoofing your domain, so you many be eventually forced to use these modern reputation security techniques.
Bill

jhollington 11 Jan 2017 10:03 PM

The other thing that's really confusing me here is that the OP claims that this is a transition problem between the classic and current interfaces... There's no reason I can see why this should be the case unless there's some weird glitch in the classic interface.

@sheprd: In addition to doing what Bill (n5bb) suggested above (show us the raw headers), have you tried deleting and recreating your Gmail and Runbox personalities using the new interface? (under Settings->Identities & Fetch).

As I mentioned earlier, I know from my own testing that configuring a Gmail address in Identities & Fetch in the new UI sets everything up automatically, and uses Gmail OAUTH for authentication to your Google Account. If you're using an old "personality" that you set up in the classic interface, it's possible that it might not be processed the same way when sending from the new UI. While that doesn't seem likely, at this point I don't want to rule out anything so it's worth a shot and if nothing else will help to ensure that your Gmail address is properly configured as an alternate sender address in your FastMail account, especially since the new UI configuration for Gmail is entirely automatic.

As, you say "I don't have a gmail alias. I have a gmail address" but I think what BritTim was asking was what the configuration in your Gmail account might look like. If you log directly into your Gmail account and send a message to eumx from Gmail, does your FastMail address appear anywhere?

Also, with Runbox, you're saying that it "comes back that don't appear to be a valid address" — can you let us know where you're actually seeing this error? Is this in the FastMail web UI when you actually hit "Send" or is it a response that you get back as an email delivery failure notification?

Again, though, as Bill suggested, seeing the raw headers at this point would be the key to troubleshooting this whole thing, so if you can post those headers as they appear from a message received at eumx, that would go a very long way to helping us figure this out for you.