EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   ProtonMail - Encrypted Email (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=68880)

rockman 27 Apr 2014 05:40 AM

ProtonMail - Encrypted Email

https://protonmail.ch/

Hosted in Switzerland
More flexible than Mail1Click - you can send/receive email easily with non-ProtonMail users.
Optionally password encrypt email to non-ProtonMail users
Email expirations
Two passwords: one to authenticate with the service and another to decrypt mailbox client-side. The mailbox password is not shared with ProtonMail. Therefore, zero knowledge.

jarland 27 Apr 2014 06:23 AM

Nice find! Requested beta invite. I'm excited by anyone stepping up to the plate to hit the ball that lavabit had ripped from their hands.

janusz 27 Apr 2014 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarland (Post 570693)
I'm excited by anyone stepping up to the plate to hit the ball that lavabit had ripped from their hands.

3 in 1 (three metaphors in one sentence) :D

me0000 28 Apr 2014 05:14 AM

If you go the log in page:

https://protonmail.ch/login.php

Scroll to the bottom, click sign up and it allows you to sign up !

ccl1 28 Apr 2014 11:25 PM

that sign up link is the same as the link requesting access to the beta.

xmailer 28 Apr 2014 11:51 PM

I've supposedly received an account in reply to my request. First it took quite awhile before the link would even respond adequately to open the account in the first place. After repeating the procedure from the original emailed link, I was eventually able to apparently fully open the account, where I found a welcome message which was readable, but I've been unable to as much as send that or any other email message by the simple expedient of clicking on an apparent "send" link, which appeared to do nothing.

Nor do many, if any, other of the links appear to do anything, or at least anything "useable". I was able to post a "problem" ticket of a sort, merely reporting that I appear to be able to do essentially nothing, for whatever good that will do. So far, I remain entirely unimpressed.

Fenman 28 Apr 2014 11:59 PM

It's not working too well for me just now. I received the offer of a beta account this morning and signed up. I sent myself a test email and it worked fine.

Now, 6hrs or so later, it refuses to let me log in with the credentials I set up this morning BUT it let me register all over again with the original user name. :confused:

rockman 29 Apr 2014 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fenman (Post 570741)
It's not working too well for me just now. I received the offer of a beta account this morning and signed up. I sent myself a test email and it worked fine.

Now, 6hrs or so later, it refuses to let me log in with the credentials I set up this morning BUT it let me register all over again with the original user name. :confused:

I'd suggest you follow the advice from your welcome email... ;)

Quote:

"A quick word of warning! ProtonMail is still in BETA so it might not be 100% reliable yet. We suggest that you don't use yet it to store emails you can't afford to lose.

If you happen to find a bug, we would really appreciate it if you use the Report Bug button in the top right to let us know.

We're constantly working to improve ProtonMail (especially during BETA) and we'll be fixing bugs and adding new features daily. You can follow the latest updates at our blog: https://protonmail.ch/blog/

Finally, if you have feedback or would like to request a feature, we’d love to hear from you!

just send an email to features@protonmail.ch"

rockman 29 Apr 2014 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmailer (Post 570740)
I've supposedly received an account in reply to my request. First it took quite awhile before the link would even respond adequately to open the account in the first place. After repeating the procedure from the original emailed link, I was eventually able to apparently fully open the account, where I found a welcome message which was readable, but I've been unable to as much as send that or any other email message by the simple expedient of clicking on an apparent "send" link, which appeared to do nothing.

Nor do many, if any, other of the links appear to do anything, or at least anything "useable". I was able to post a "problem" ticket of a sort, merely reporting that I appear to be able to do essentially nothing, for whatever good that will do. So far, I remain entirely unimpressed.

Ping the devs with your problems. Only they can help.
Quote:

"A quick word of warning! ProtonMail is still in BETA so it might not be 100% reliable yet. We suggest that you don't use yet it to store emails you can't afford to lose.

If you happen to find a bug, we would really appreciate it if you use the Report Bug button in the top right to let us know.

We're constantly working to improve ProtonMail (especially during BETA) and we'll be fixing bugs and adding new features daily. You can follow the latest updates at our blog: https://protonmail.ch/blog/

Finally, if you have feedback or would like to request a feature, we’d love to hear from you!

just send an email to features@protonmail.ch"

communicant 29 Apr 2014 01:24 AM

For me, some of the links on some pages of the site are dead. Many of them do work, but when I'm at the sign-up page, the 'check availability' button is dead, and so is the 'request invite' button to submit the form. The captcha numbers are visible, but there seems to be no field in which to enter them. Has anyone else experienced these problems?

rockman 29 Apr 2014 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by communicant (Post 570750)
For me, some of the links on some pages of the site are dead. Many of them do work, but when I'm at the sign-up page, the 'check availability' button is dead, and so is the 'request invite' button to submit the form. The captcha numbers are visible, but there seems to be no field in which to enter them. Has anyone else experienced these problems?

No. I'm using IE11.

ProtonMail 29 Apr 2014 02:25 AM

ProtonMail Support

Hi everyone,

I'm Jason Stockman, a developer with ProtonMail. We're discovering (thanks to Beta support tickets and this forum thread actually) that we have some Javascript bugs related to the UI and animations in Firefox on Linux and unfortunately those errors are breaking core functionality on the Compose pages. We should have a fix in place over the next hour or so, but in the meantime if you'd like to try things out you may have better luck with Safari or Chrome, at least until we have a Firefox patch in place this afternoon.

We do expect a lot of usability bugs over the next few days, but it's a shame this specific bug prevents core functionality. It's likely a bug that I personally wrote as the front-end developer and I'm sorry about that.

I hope you'll come back and give us another try later today.

If anyone else has a problem at all with the site, you can contact me/us directly through our site or post here - we'll keep an on eye on both sides!

Cheers,
Jason

xmailer 29 Apr 2014 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockman (Post 570743)
Ping the devs with your problems. Only they can help.

Like I said, I did.

xmailer 29 Apr 2014 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProtonMail (Post 570756)
Hi everyone,

I'm Jason Stockman, a developer with ProtonMail. We're discovering (thanks to Beta support tickets and this forum thread actually) that we have some Javascript bugs related to the UI and animations in Firefox on Linux and unfortunately those errors are breaking core functionality on the Compose pages. We should have a fix in place over the next hour or so, but in the meantime if you'd like to try things out you may have better luck with Safari or Chrome, at least until we have a Firefox patch in place this afternoon.

We do expect a lot of usability bugs over the next few days, but it's a shame this specific bug prevents core functionality. It's likely a bug that I personally wrote as the front-end developer and I'm sorry about that.

If anyone else has a problem at all with the site, you can contact me/us directly through our site or post here - we'll keep an on eye on both sides!

Cheers,
Jason

I'll be glad to try it any time that it may be convenient. However I routinely use Firefox, and although I can't say I would never again change browsers, I'm not inclined to permanently change browsers now only to use a single email service, since literally everything else I do online works fine with Firefox and it's what I'm accustomed to using and finding all the options for, etc. But I'll be glad to wait however long it may take for better Firefox functionality.

rockman 29 Apr 2014 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmailer (Post 570757)
Like I said, I did.

I didn't read that in your post. Now that Jason is here, I am sure he will attempt to "impress" you with some help. :D

xmailer 29 Apr 2014 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProtonMail (Post 570756)
Hi everyone,

Cheers,
Jason

I didn't think to clarify above, but since you mentioned Linux above and in your more recent email of today, perhaps I should clarify that I use Firefox with Windows, and that's what isn't working properly for me (as of my last check), not Firefox with Linux, which I haven't tried, since I don't use Linux.

ProtonMail 29 Apr 2014 04:27 AM

Direct Support

Hi xmailer,

I don't want to take over this thread and make it support related, so please feel free to contact me directly and I'll do what I can take get you setup if you're still interested.

jason at protonmail dot ch

Jason

xmailer 29 Apr 2014 04:59 AM

I think I understand your point in not wanting to use this thread to deal with every individual support issue, I just wanted to clarify that one point here at the moment "for the record". It's a busy day for me in general, but I'll be with you more directly about any individual support issues.

jarland 29 Apr 2014 06:32 AM

Got my account made late last night. Really love the webmail. Nice and clean.

Just Bill 29 Apr 2014 07:15 AM

It took less than an hour for me to be granted a beta account following the request.

rockman 29 Apr 2014 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarland (Post 570772)
Got my account made late last night. Really love the webmail. Nice and clean.

Yes, it reminds me of Rainloop webmail. Writing a mail client from scratch ain't easy. Commendable effort so far. They can only improve with user feedback. :cool:

xmailer 29 Apr 2014 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockman (Post 570777)
Yes, it reminds me of Rainloop webmail. Writing a mail client from scratch ain't easy. Commendable effort so far. They can only improve with user feedback. :cool:

I'm hoping I can login to my account again so as to see what you're referring to. Today I can't even get past the login screen at all. Hopefully I'll get there again someday yet. :) (I've reply emailed the service and am awaiting a response.)

David 29 Apr 2014 10:54 AM

I have requested a beta account. We are overdue, anything at all that could be considered superlative, here at emd :)

xmailer 29 Apr 2014 11:12 AM

I'm not sure I've ever had so much trouble just trying to login to a new email account for the first and second time. But that's okay, I'm willing to give a try to a new 'beta beta' service. :D

somdcomputerguy 29 Apr 2014 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmailer (Post 570780)
I'm not sure I've ever had so much trouble just trying to login to a new email account for the first and second time. But that's okay, I'm willing to give a try to a new 'beta beta' service. :D

I had trouble logging in, after I created an account and then logged out. However, after closing the tab and then opening a new one, I was able to login successfully.

- Bruce

edit: I just tried logging in again, after my browser had been closed and my laptop re-booted, and I had to enter my info twice. The first time, I got the red banner stating 'wrong username or password', but the second attempt (with the same info) was successful. The email address that the beta invite approval comes from is 'no-reply@...', their support email address is 'ProtonMail Support <support@protonmail.ch>'.

another edit: I forget what the exact cause of this issue was, I do remember it being somewhat browser related, but it's been resolved for quite a while now.. I just figured I'd add an update to this post.

xmailer 29 Apr 2014 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somdcomputerguy (Post 570782)
I had trouble logging in, after I created an account and then logged out. However, after closing the tab and then opening a new one, I was able to login successfully.

- Bruce

edit: I just tried logging in again, after my browser had been closed and my laptop re-booted, and I had to enter my info twice. The first time, I got the red banner stating 'wrong username or password', but the second attempt (with the same info) was successful. The email address that the beta invite approval comes from is 'no-reply@...', their support email address is 'ProtonMail Support <support@protonmail.ch>'.

I had a very similar, if not identical, experience the first, and last, time I succeeded in logging in. However, no matter how many times I've attempted repeating that procedure, I've only gotten the "wrong user name or password" message. No luck at all. In private correspondence with the proprietors, they removed my "approved" name and I started over again by selecting a new user name and, after they "approved" it, I've since been unable to login no matter how, or how long, I've tried.

I honestly don't see how I could possibly be doing anything "wrong" with such extremely simple directions, whether it's a problem of some kind with my browser or who knows what. But it simply doesn't work for me. And failing to do something as basic as logging into an "approved" email account through what should be such a simple procedure, I really see nothing further worth doing but giving up at this time. Perhaps later it may be worth a try, but I'm not going to spend my whole life just trying to log into an email account. :rolleyes::D

Bamb0 29 Apr 2014 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockman
Optionally password encrypt email to non-ProtonMail users

Excellent....... Like Hushmail!!

Thank you for the link!

ProtonMail 30 Apr 2014 03:14 AM

ProtonMail Support

Hi all,

We're noticing a lot of issues with Firefox, but I just pushed a change to hopefully increase support for that. Some of you have contacted me directly and that's probably your best bet for a reply at this point.

In general we have close to full support for Chrome and Safari and limited support on Firefox and IE. Our goal is to have full support for the latest versions of each over the next week or so, so thanks for bearing with us as we get that done.

JeffK 30 Apr 2014 09:16 AM

ProtonMail, please contact forum moderator Edwin so that he can register you as an email service representative.

Thank you.

David 30 Apr 2014 09:24 AM

After applying for a beta account I registered and received a 'username' and 'password' but was never able to login. I use Firefox web browser and my experience emulated xmailer's.

Though I am very interested in opening an account, I am not likely to switch away from Firefox anytime soon. That said I do intend to persevere.

ProtonMail 30 Apr 2014 09:51 AM

ProtonMail Support

We definitely don't want to make anyone have to change their browsing habits to use our service - and we're working to add full support for Firefox at the moment. Sorry for the hurdles thus far everyone.

I've also reached out to Edwin to get approved as an official rep. for ProtonMail.

Just Bill 30 Apr 2014 03:36 PM

Nice web interface. Whenever ir goes out of beta and if at some point you offer hosting, I would not be opposed to switching to it.

randian 2 May 2014 11:22 AM

I assume that since a secondary password is required to decrypt the mailbox, IMAP/SMTP clients can't be used with this service.

As far as login failures, perhaps it's the login name you're using. I'm using "username" by itself instead of "username@protonmail.ch" and logging in just fine.

rockman 2 May 2014 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randian (Post 570879)
I assume that since a secondary password is required to decrypt the mailbox, IMAP/SMTP clients can't be used with this service.

That's my understanding as well.

Currently, they have no plans for mobile device apps, but a mobile version of the webmail UI is live.

Quote:

Originally Posted by randian (Post 570879)
As far as login failures, perhaps it's the login name you're using. I'm using "username" by itself instead of "username@protonmail.ch" and logging in just fine.

Same here. I have no problems logging in with IE11.

xmailer 2 May 2014 12:13 PM

Those of us who are having problems with the service have had no problem following simple instructions. As ProtonMail has said several times, the service just doesn't work properly with all browsers yet or possibly even for all users; we're simply waiting until it does.

Clive T 3 May 2014 05:18 PM

Beta 1.03 has been released https://protonmail.ch/blog/

I still can't log in because of the wrong username/password error. Tried with IE11, Opera 20 and Chrome.

Hope this gets fixed soon; I like the look of this service.

xmailer 3 May 2014 07:12 PM

Thanks for the updated info.

I found that I was only using Firefox v28, so I cleared the cache and updated to Firefox v29. (Which I can't say I like the looks of, but anyway...)

I went to the original "approval" email from ProtonMail from which I opened the login page, entered my "approved" login name, password choice, and the given CAPTCHA.

Tried this three times and each time still only got the "Wrong Username or Password" error. So I closed the login page, again went back to the original email, re-opened the login page and tried three more times. Same result.

It still doesn't work with my Firefox.

rockman 4 May 2014 12:41 AM

I want to add that I have had zero problems logging on and using ProtonMail using both IE11 and Chrome 34. I've submitted many bug reports and feedback on suggestions and improvements. These guys listen. :)

On another note, it is refreshing to use an "anonymous" or otherwise unknown Internet service somewhere else in the world by a company that publishes the names and faces of the actual humans working on it. Kudos!

ccl1 4 May 2014 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmailer (Post 570933)
Thanks for the updated info.

I found that I was only using Firefox v28, so I cleared the cache and updated to Firefox v29. (Which I can't say I like the looks of, but anyway...)

this is not really related to this topic but firefox has full themes to customize the look. i've been using them for years. since 29 just came out it might take a little while for some to be updated to be compatible. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...mplete-themes/

xmailer 4 May 2014 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccl1 (Post 570952)
this is not really related to this topic but firefox has full themes to customize the look. i've been using them for years. since 29 just came out it might take a little while for some to be updated to be compatible. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...mplete-themes/

Yeah, maybe I'll find a way to change things to look the way I'm used to, or maybe I'll just get used to it soon enough. Offhand, the only thing I can remember noticing somewhat "radically" different is that they seem to have changed it so that all the currently unused tabs are "invisible", showing the names on the tabs, but not the background colors of the tabs themselves, which seems to change the overall look of the browser somewhat for me. But, again, maybe I'll get used to that or even decide at some point that I may like it better.