EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   FastMail Forum (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Subdomain Addressing -- Reply Uses Default (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=79026)

Chipper 29 Jan 2022 04:22 AM

Subdomain Addressing -- Reply Uses Default

I use subdomain addressing to separate different organizations. Example:

Amazon@Myuserid.Fastmail.Com
Experian@Myuserid.Fastmail.Com
SouthwestAirlines@Myuserid.Fastmail.Com

For some reason, the reply uses my default ID instead of the subdomain address. Is there a way to change this?

TIA for any help you can give.

xyzzy 29 Jan 2022 06:09 AM

Are you using a sending identity for *@Myuserid.Fastmail.Com?

I do a similar thing but use an alias for the base email address. I never want my actual FM account email address made public.

Grhm 29 Jan 2022 11:42 AM

> Settings
> Preferences
> Show advanced preferences
> When replying
> Reply from
> The address the message was sent to

Chipper 29 Jan 2022 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grhm (Post 624593)
> Settings
> Preferences
> Show advanced preferences
> When replying
> Reply from
> The address the message was sent to

Hmm... that's what it is sent to. My solution has been to create a sending identity each time I need something to come from a specific address. I'm wondering if that's my only solution.

Chipper 29 Jan 2022 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xyzzy (Post 624591)

I do a similar thing but use an alias for the base email address. I never want my actual FM account email address made public.

Oops. That was one bad explanation in the post. I do not use my actual FM account email address.

I should have said Myalias.Domain.Tld

BritTim 30 Jan 2022 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipper (Post 624608)
Oops. That was one bad explanation in the post. I do not use my actual FM account email address.

Same idea. Set up a Sending Identity for *@AliasName.Domain.tld

Chipper 31 Jan 2022 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xyzzy (Post 624591)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipper (Post 624608)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BritTim (Post 624615)
Same idea. Set up a Sending Identity for *@AliasName.Domain.tld

Oh! I just realized what you were trying to explain to me.
When I saw your identity with the asterisk, I misunderstood. I thought you were responding to say "create an identity for each subdomain address."

I just figured out what you were trying to tell me and did this. It worked!! :cool:

Even better -- it allows me to change the "from name" and the "from address."
* I need to change the "from name" sometimes. My legal name is "George" but because my grandfather was George and my father is George, I have the nickname "Chipper."

BritTim....
THANK YOU!! This is exactly what I needed!!! :):):cool::cool:

xyzzy 31 Jan 2022 06:57 AM

Here's just a little feature related to aliases which might not be initially obvious...

If you create an target ("deliver to" alias setting) for an alias you can have FM sort all the messages sent to that alias sorted under a specific parent folder via it's "fuzzy folder matching". Thus you can create different categories to auto sort your respective alias addresses into.

For example, if you have an alias address AliasName@Domain.tld, and its "Deliver to" is set to shopping@Myuserid.Fastmail.Com (and here it really is the FM account name) then all emails sent to, say, homedepot@AliasName.Domain.tld will be sorted into folder homedepot (assuming you created it nested under category folder shopping).

This can be extended to additional nesting levels as well. So if the "deliver to" was shopping.hardware@Myuserid.Fastmail.Com then messages sent to homedepot@AliasName.Domain.tld would sort into the hardware folder nested under the shopping folder.

Don't know if you need this feature but I thought I would mention it just in case. The upside of doing this is that you can use one alias and one sending identity for whole categories of email addresses. The downside is you cannot just delete or disable the actual alias if you no longer want to use it for a particular service. That would wipe out all the email addresses used for that category. Of course that's true even if you don't use a "deliver to" too. It just means you need to add some filter to intercept messages sent to the address or some Sieve code if you want to do an actual reject. So it's not really that big of a problem IMO.

Chipper 5 Feb 2022 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xyzzy (Post 624661)
Here's just a little feature related to aliases which might not be initially obvious...

If you create an target ("deliver to" alias setting) for an alias you can have FM sort all the messages sent to that alias sorted under a specific parent folder via it's "fuzzy folder matching". Thus you can create different categories to auto sort your respective alias addresses into.

For example, if you have an alias address AliasName@Domain.tld, and its "Deliver to" is set to shopping@Myuserid.Fastmail.Com (and here it really is the FM account name) then all emails sent to, say, homedepot@AliasName.Domain.tld will be sorted into folder homedepot (assuming you created it nested under category folder shopping).

This can be extended to additional nesting levels as well. So if the "deliver to" was shopping.hardware@Myuserid.Fastmail.Com then messages sent to homedepot@AliasName.Domain.tld would sort into the hardware folder nested under the shopping folder.

Don't know if you need this feature but I thought I would mention it just in case. The upside of doing this is that you can use one alias and one sending identity for whole categories of email addresses. The downside is you cannot just delete or disable the actual alias if you no longer want to use it for a particular service. That would wipe out all the email addresses used for that category. Of course that's true even if you don't use a "deliver to" too. It just means you need to add some filter to intercept messages sent to the address or some Sieve code if you want to do an actual reject. So it's not really that big of a problem IMO.

Thank you for this helpful tip also!! :cool::cool:

And... mea culpa. I wasn't paying attention when I replied the first time -- I only gave kudos to BritTim for posting the explanation.

xyzzy -- you also answered (in fact, you were the first to respond) -- but I accidentally didn't mention you. :eek: