EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   A day in history - Google introduces Gmail 13 years ago (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=72609)

ReuvenNY 2 Apr 2017 12:34 AM

A day in history - Google introduces Gmail 13 years ago

Today, 13 years ago Google introduced Gmail with 1GB of email storage.

I remember we all dismissed it as April's Fools Day joke. But low and behold, the next day it was still in the news and real.

They changed the email world on that day forever.

How time flies...

Bamb0 2 Apr 2017 04:15 AM

Wow 13 years??

Yes its amazing how it does fly!!

n5bb 2 Apr 2017 07:07 AM

Remember that Gmail was in beta the first 5 years.

jeffpan 2 Apr 2017 03:02 PM

I got the username of my full name at gmail.com when the first days they released gmail.

chuckster 3 Apr 2017 11:15 AM

over a year ago it had more than 1 billion active users.

truemagic 3 Apr 2017 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffpan (Post 600941)
I got the username of my full name at gmail.com when the first days they released gmail.

I created one with my name and accidentally got my google account deleted (trying stuff..) and since then I lost it forever until now

They have this policy of deleted account are forever freezed :(

jeffpan 3 Apr 2017 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truemagic (Post 600992)
I created one with my name and accidentally got my google account deleted (trying stuff..) and since then I lost it forever until now

They have this policy of deleted account are forever freezed :(

what a pity.:p

Agx 5 Apr 2017 03:20 AM

A day in history: the launch of the biggest privacy violation and mass control of people

ccl1 5 Apr 2017 04:59 AM

to this day I still wish I hadn't permanently deleted my original gmail account name :(

TenFour 5 Apr 2017 10:00 AM

Quote:

A day in history: the launch of the biggest privacy violation and mass control of people
Judging from the ads I see the "mass control" isn't working very well--almost nothing I am even remotely interested in, and I rarely even glance at them anyway. Seems like a lot of wasted time and money to me. Looking at what they use all my data for is worth a chuckle now and then, but not worth wasting much worry over. I'm much more worried about the nonsense that passes for "news" that many people choose to read and believe, despite the lack of facts.

somdcomputerguy 5 Apr 2017 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TenFour (Post 601050)
I'm much more worried about the nonsense that passes for "news" that many people choose to read and believe, despite the lack of facts.

Well I must 100% agree with that.

- Bruce

Agx 5 Apr 2017 02:50 PM

Fake news are a big problem... because i see a lot of people that think that every news in the net... is true!

Back to Gmail, i think that it change the free mail market, but after the launch, our privacy is lost, i know they don't sell data, but data mining today is invandig our life

ReuvenNY 5 Apr 2017 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agx (Post 601056)
Back to Gmail, i think that it change the free mail market, but after the launch, our privacy is lost, i know they don't sell data, but data mining today is invandig our life

If you believe that before Gmail we did have privacy, I have the Brooklyn Bridge to sell you...:)

Agx 6 Apr 2017 05:07 AM

Online privacy is an illusion, but after Snowden scandal, I think that all must use the best service that protect privacy, and Gmail is not the best.

Merovingian 9 Apr 2017 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccl1 (Post 601047)
to this day I still wish I hadn't permanently deleted my original gmail account name :(

Same. I am so frustrated that I can't resurrect an account that I once owned :(

Maybe one day Google will change their policy?