View Single Post
Old 29 Mar 2024, 10:09 AM   #5
truemagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avion View Post
I had to look up StackSocial and Appsumo to see what they did, I'd never heard of them.

For them or any equivalent I would probably use Duck, basically because it's easy to use and it just works.

For my website contact, I use a Protonmail '@pm.me' address because I want to keep it separate from my domains.

I have more than one 'custom domain', and have one of them for general use, for example, forums, online purchases, etc.

I use another domain for important personal stuff, for example, family, banking, etc.
I too use DDG for newsletters only, because the problem with it is that I couldn't initiate a new email to somebody with the specific alias. And also the auto-generated alias is made up of random characters which doesn't look serious so even I used it to receive an invitation of a waiting list, (I guess) it is silently discarded as I've never heard back lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosim View Post
a) 1 email for official stuff (bank, gov, taxes, …)
b) 1 email for close people (family, friends, …)
c) 1 email for PR (sport club, reading club, school, colleagues, …)
d) a bunch of addresses/aliasses not at a known forwarding service for varying degrees of obfuscation.

Own domain preferred on a+b, maybe c, definitely not d for which ideally a bunch of domains are provided for.
I should've added another pre-condition that *what-if* I don't want to keep another custom domain just for emails? Don't get me wrong, I've dozens of domains right now and I feel it's overwhelmed for a single purpose (not getting spam). Shouldn't there a better approach to this (multiple domains)?

Also, I'm not sure about others, but I tend to prefer the common email domains more than my own. Maybe it's just a feeling that my custom domain is not nice looking than the ones that has more people using it (eg. pm.me/skiff.com/tuta.io...you name it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
I have a bunch of domains that I used to use as my main email addresses for various things, but I don't think they should be used for random alias addresses for non-important or dodgy sites. For those situations I now use Duck aliases, and I have only found one or two sites that don't accept them. For business purposes domain email is desirable, though if your business is basically you and you have a good email address using your own name or some version of it, I think it is equally good, maybe better. I have had various problems with people making spelling errors entering domain addresses, or for some reason getting rejected by their spam filters, while I never have that problem with a Gmail address. Even when I do get spam at my Gmail address I find that Gmail usually quarantines it into the spam folder, and then it is easy to block that address to make sure future emails go into the spam folder.
I agreed that for businesses domain email must come first. It does not appeal to me if a business is using Gmail or ProtonMail as their main contact, it just looks not professional (personal opinion). For private use however, I don't find the greater advantages of using custom domain other than it has a safe feeling whereby if any provider goes down I can easily move my domain emails.
truemagic is offline   Reply With Quote