View Single Post
Old 29 Nov 2021, 06:28 AM   #10
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by steenkh View Post
Oh yes. That has been considered many times, but I have lost an account once because the company that hosted the server believed I was a spammer (a spammer had “kindly” put my address as sender, and the incompetent supporter at the mail hotel could not believe that it is possible to fake a sender, and the fact that the IP address used was not mine did not impress him).
Well, I don't use free webmail. But I use exclusively the webmail client at the email provider that hosts the email for my domains (Fastmail). So I don't think I risk losing all my email: I can fetch it all using POP or IMAP (and in the past I had made backup copies several times using IMAPSize, that doesn't alter email status on the server unless you tell it to change something), but it's been years since I did it: I think they can keep my email for me better than I can. Anyway, the main advantage of webmail for me, other than not having to maintain software and mail archives, is that I automatically have the same settings on all devices, and that includes not just the email store but also the address book, several sending identities (different email addresses I send from, along with their different signatures, separate folders were sent mail is saved, etc. IMAP is good at synchronizing mail stores, but mail involves not just receiving, reading and storing but also sending.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote