Thread: New TLDs
View Single Post
Old 11 Jan 2014, 01:29 AM   #18
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans2010 View Post
I did in subsequent posts.
You made remarks about large numbers that can apply to practically any noun and you made a spurious comparison with hosts.txt.

If your point is that having a googolplex of TLDs would be absurd in the same sense that making a googolplex of deck chairs would be then your point isn't worth making. Someone has to apply to run a TLD, and pay a lot of money before it exists - the number is never going to be absurd in that sense.

hosts.txt had to contain every public hostname that existed, and was genuinely flat, which gave it severe scaling problems. However many TLDs are added DNS is never going to be flat. The only scaling limitation is in the root servers, and presumably the number of TLDS is not going to be expanded faster than the capacity of the root servers to deal them.

Quote:
I didn't see your response to the questions I posed (including the one you quoted, and also the later ones.
You aren't asking sensible questions.

I think what will happen is that big organizations are going have their own TLDs, most large & medium size companies will stick with ccTLDs, .com etc, and the new general purpose TLDs will mostly appeal to individuals or small businesses. There are minor winners and minor losers. The winners are mostly the public - if it annoys some "B Ark" people, I can live with that.
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote