View Single Post
Old 12 Jun 2015, 12:03 AM   #1
Alsark

Unique Problem: Two First Names

I was wondering if anybody would have any suggestions for me on an issue that I initially didn't care about, but has grown to be a huge pet peeve of mine.

I have two first names - for the purposes of anonymity let's use "David Mitchell" as an example. When people receive work e-mails from me, it then says "Mitchell, David". There is no way to change how my name is displayed through the work e-mail system, so that's not an option.

As a result of how my name is displayed, I would say about 80% of the time, I get called Mitchell instead of David. Even people I have worked with for the entire two and a half years I've been here call me Mitchell. The funny thing is, my co-worker also has two first names, and this has never happened to him once.

Any suggestions? Even when people call me by last name and I go, "Hey, just FYI, my name is David," I've had people still call me Mitchell after that.

Should I just let people call me Mitchell? Should I just keep telling them, "Just so you know, my name is David" and hope something clicks?

I was thinking about making my name in my signature a much larger font or something, but I'm worried that may come across as a little immature or passive aggressive.
Alsark is offline   Reply With Quote