View Single Post
Old 29 Aug 2019, 12:29 AM   #27
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Another thing to keep in mind is the necessity of using an email address that is really easy to type in and uses a .com or .org extension. If it is hard to type or spell your address will be entered incorrectly 50% of the time and you will miss out on messages. I manage some email lists and it is very difficult to decipher many addresses that are entered on forms, and often systems make it faster and easier to type in the address rather than cutting and pasting. If your address uses strange spelling and extensions it will be entered incorrectly a lot.
I would say the person's local ccTLD is as good and logical as .com or .org. Maybe .net too.

I agree it is easier if the address is easy to type, but also it often comes across more professional if you use your real name. What if your real name is a tough one to type, for example because it is transliterated from a different alphabet or because your name is very uncommon in your country? I'd say using your real name, even in that situation, is still a better option than using a nickname. At least, if we talk about job related mails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjwalsh View Post
Fastmail has a multitude of domains to choose from, increasing the odds of being able to use your own name. Some low-key, less used domain options: sent.com, ftml.net, fastem.com, fastmail.us, fastmail.org. Fastmail's subaddressing could be used to expand the name@ options.
https://www.fastmail.com/about/ourdomains
Mail.com also has some domains to choose from that are not so common, some even work related (for example the neat workmail.com They also own the short and sweet dr.com domain)
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote