View Single Post
Old 10 May 2002, 08:55 PM   #6
michaelj

Re: Re: Re: Using IMAP and POP from One Email Client

Quote:
Originally posted by bbrener

Norton antivirus also says it supports IMAP, but I am suspicious of that. Cannot prove it yet though. IMAP, certainly with Outlook does not seem to get the same protection as POP. Can't tell you how many Klez emails NAV has caught through my POP mail.

Brian
NAV does, in fact, trap viruses through IMAP, as I've seen it catch Klez.
Regarding your using IMAP and Outlook's rules, this also works for me. I move a copy of all mail received through my own domain to a separate directory (not inbox) on my local Outlook pst folder as a backup.
What you can't do is enable POP and IMAP and expect that only alias mail will go through POP, they'll all go. You could set a rule to look for the alias name in IMAP and move a copy to the local pst if you also want to keep a copy on IMAP, or move the file if you want the file deleted from IMAP after it's moved. The only thing you need to remember is when you move the original copy from IMAP to the local pst file it gets deleted from the IMAP server, but it does not get purged.
As I mentioned in a previous post, Outlook 2000 (and I'm assuming 2002 as well, though I've never seen it) stores all rules in one file. I suspect that people who are having problems getting rules to work have created and deleted a lot of rules, and this file could be corrupted. I would suggest removing all rules, deleting the rules file, and starting over.
When I first signed on with Fastmail.Fm I was unfamiliar with IMAP and went with what was familiar to me, POP. I then enabled IMAP and ran both, keeping the file on the POP server. After I was comfortable with IMAP I disabled the POP downloads from Fastmail.Fm. There really is no advantage to POP, since IMAP does everything and more than POP.

Michael
michaelj is offline   Reply With Quote