View Single Post
Old 19 Dec 2002, 08:49 AM   #1
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Question Meaning of user name?

I got the idea for this thread from the LockerGnome Forums, and have already posted a similar one on the InkTank Forum. .

Here goes for my ID (copied from the second of those threads, why do it three times? ):

My first name is Robert.

I'm a user (and big fan) of FastMail.FM (who are actually an Australian company, they've got a Micronesian domain because FM is short for FastMail and also because .fm is cool _), hence @fm.

I was ROBERT.BAK for 12 years (my surname is Baker), but I got tired of it, and anyway few people use DOS these days, nor it seems does much software use the old .BAK extension for backup files anymore.

On the MailSnare forums it wouldn't be very tactful for me to use robert@fm, so over there I'm robert!@ms (as any C programmer will tell you, ! means "not").

My other old (InkTank and elsewhere) username of korax1214 (which I still use when I can't use robert@fm for whatever reason) comes from my MyDeja days; I was a big fan of Hexen, hence tried to sign up as Korax but of course that was already taken, and the signup procedure suggested korax1214 so I went with that.

(edit:  updated LockerGnome link because they've changed their forum software.)

(edit 2:  removed InkTank link because that thread, and indeed the entire board, has long-since been deleted.)

Last edited by robert@fm : 26 May 2004 at 04:30 AM.
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote