View Single Post
Old 4 Jul 2020, 02:19 PM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Here is how you place saved global searches near the top were they are easy to find. This works very well if you are using labels mode, but this trick might be of some help even if you are using folders mode.
  • You can view your messages in folders or labels mode. Before following the directions below, be sure you are in folders mode in Settings>Customize>Preferences>Mail>Labels.
  • Move the Archive folder to a location near the top. I make Inbox first and Archive second in the list.
  • While viewing the Archive folder, create your searches (for searching the Archive folder rather than All Mail) and save them. They will appear inside the Archive folder.
  • Now switch to labels mode. The searches will now be inside the All mail folder, which takes the place of Archive in the labels mode. Since there is no Archive label (archived messages have their labels all removed) the searches will now search All Mail, just as if they were created that way and shown at the bottom of the list.
  • If you switch to folders mode, these new searches will reside in the Archive folder. They will by default search the Archive folder, but there will be a button at the top so you can search All mail instead.
To summarize:
  • Save your searches for Archive rather than All mail.
  • In labels mode these searches will search all mail.
  • In folders mode you can use these searches by using the All mail selection rather than the default Archive selection.
I know that's not exactly what you wanted, but this trick might be good enough to assist you. It's great in labels mode, and I use a global search for UNREAD quite often using this trick. This allows me to find all unread message, even if they were auto-filed into folders. I can then use j and k to move through the list of all unread messages, which marks them read after I read them.

By the way, I just noticed in Fastmail help some search features which I had never noticed. Either I had missed them before, or they are new:
  • + and - may be substituted for AND and NOT, respectively.
  • fromin: and toin: can be used to search for contacts or a specific contact group.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote