View Single Post
Old 23 Apr 2018, 01:10 AM   #2
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

I suggest a single account with two personalities (though FastMail tends to talk about Identities these days, I find Personalities a better term). FastMail has better support for this than most other mail services, and multiple accounts are less convenient. In setting this up, you will want to look at the following:
  • Using Identities to establish alternative sending addresses, the folder in which emails sent from each address should be stored, and also POP retrieval of mail from secondary email accounts (if you find that more appropriate than forwarding) together with the folder to retrieve the emails into.
  • Rules that can specify the folder incoming emails should be directed to. You will certainly choose to use this to separate business from personal email, but it is also useful to separate known lower priority emails (such as newsletters) from messages that may need immediate attention.
  • The advanced settings for folders specify the Identity that should be used by default when composing emails while browsing the folder. What I have generally done is set up multiple folder hierarchies, specifying the appropriate Identity to be associated with the top folder of each hierarchy and its children.
In my experience, having set this all up correctly, accidentally using the wrong Identity (Personality) during regular email activities is a very rare occurrence.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote