View Single Post
Old 20 Dec 2016, 04:17 PM   #1
AVmailer6

Question Why am I receiving emails sent to another address that only shares my prefix?

Generically, I'm at johnd@live.com and the intended email recipient is johnd@sbcglobal.net. Why would I get periodic emails sent to him from a variety of senders? Those are the real domains and the prefixes are the same character length as the real ones, if that matters.

I assume the other John Doe is receiving all the same emails but I shouldn't be getting any of them and I'm not in the actual mailing lists from what I can see (based on asking some of the senders, though they've been non-technical people and don't dig into it much). It seems like a weird glitch between the routing to @live.com and @sbcglobal.net and I'd be surprised if I was the only one affected. These receipts have gone on for several years and attempts to figure out why have been futile. I've used various outlook.com (aka live.com) filters to auto-delete them but new senders (or the same people using new addresses) periodically require me to update my filters. Most of them are notices from agencies related to a health care system, rotary clubs and random product mailing lists that the other John Doe signed up for. I doubt I'm getting all emails sent to him, though. I get anywhere from 0 to 30 of these emails a month, and I'm not sure if the variability is a clue to the cause.

Over the past few years I've emailed several of the senders asking for a fix but the only responses have been a few rounds of mild interest from busy office types. I've also emailed the other John Doe about it but he's never replied and I don't know why (his email appears to be for business). It's more of a technical curiosity than a real nuisance, but I've told the senders that I'm getting semi-private emails and you'd think they'd care to do something about it! What could be the technical issue causing this domain routing confusion?

Last edited by AVmailer6 : 20 Dec 2016 at 04:34 PM.
AVmailer6 is offline   Reply With Quote