Thread: UI Update
View Single Post
Old 27 Jan 2022, 09:24 PM   #70
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prognathous View Post
Thanks, I'll use that. It's not the most discoverable solution, so I still think Fastmail should still aim to reduce the amount of clicks actions take rather than increase them.
I agree with you. UI decisions are difficult, and it makes sense to limit the number of elements on the screen to those that are truly useful. However, I do think it unfortunate that Fastmail no longer canvasses users to find out what is important to them. Where many users have conflicting views on the UI's behaviour, efforts should be made to provide both options via Settings. Obviously, there is a limit to this, and it will always be necessary to disappoint some users.

By the way, it is a good use of time to read once carefully through the complete list of keyboard shortcuts, making notes on those that are non obvious, but useful based on your personal work flow. You can then glance through those notes once a month or so to refresh your memory, and ensure you are well prepared to use the system in the best way. For me, the most important part of the UI is the information that is displayed, and its readability. In general, the buttons (and where they are placed) does not matter to me because I rarely use them.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote