View Single Post
Old 25 Jun 2003, 10:50 AM   #12
sjk
Master of the @

If people send e-mail to your account using different FastMail domains (because of their current equivalence) there's a possibility of messages being received by unintended recipients after the domains are unique and associated with different accounts. It's easier/safer to use a single domain, then ignore (or reject, using Sieve) messages sent to your account/alias names within other domains.

After the domain split I'm sure some people will receive valid messages intended for the same username at a different domain. Perhaps it's no more than people who already inadvertently receive messages due to address typos. But why create an unnecessary possibility for unintended recipients?

I've already questioned FastMail's choice of allowing domain equivalence in the first place, and allowing accounts/aliases to be "casually" reused (which, as I've said before, it's analogous to hassles caused by reusing phone numbers). At best they're misfeatures. Fortunately the domain equivalence is acknowledged as troublesome and intended to be fixed.
sjk is offline   Reply With Quote