View Single Post
Old 18 Jan 2017, 08:13 AM   #27
jhollington
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brong View Post
Assuming that the DNS system still keeps working the same way forever, and nothing comes out to replace it that's not compatible.
Heh, that's a valid point, I suppose, but honestly I feel that if we get to that point, the very nature of e-mail as we understand it today will have fundamentally changed such that it won't really even matter anymore .... we'll probably be onto neural networks by then

That said, I'm fairly confident that if anything is going to last on the Internet, it's those things that have already stood the test of time and become standards because of their venerable age. I figure any RFC with a number that originated below, say, 2000 that's still in widespread use today is probably going to be around for a while

Let's face it, few of the major Internet players are otherwise interested in actual "standards" anymore, and with so many fiefdoms pushing for their own proprietary implementations, it's the open protocols and standards of yesteryear that survive as the single common denominators across the entire Internet. That's why I laugh at all of these "death of email" articles that pop up every so often.
jhollington is offline   Reply With Quote