View Single Post
Old 29 Jul 2017, 09:33 AM   #5
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflorack View Post
...For example, if I receive an email from Bob who addressed it to myself and Nick, and CC'd Mitch, replying would:
TO: Bob, Nick
CC: Mitch
But that is not what happens when using the Fastmail web interface. If Bob sends such a message, here are the original message headers:
To: ME, Nick
Cc: Mitch

The Reply to All button sends a reply as follows:
To: Bob
Cc: Nick, Mitch

The Reply to Sender button sends a reply as follows:

Quote:
...FM (and Outlook) maintains the original TO/CC values...
That is incorrect. In my example above, the original headers were:

If the original To/Cc headers were maintained, the reply message would not be returned to the sender but would be sent to myself, Nick, and Mitch (but not Bob, since his address was originally in From). The headers would be:

But the actual reply headers are quite different. The message is sent To the original sender, not sent to myself, and all other addresses are in Cc as follows:
Cc: Nick, Mitch

Quote:
... ewal is thinking that replying that same scenario should:
TO: Bob
CC: Nick, Mitch
And as I said, that is exactly what happens. I tested this several times -- it's pretty easy to test. There is no problem! The general rules are:
  • The reply To field is set to the original From address. So there is only one address placed into the To field (the original sender address).
  • All other addresses found in the original To and Cc (except your delivery address) are placed in the Cc field.
  • Bcc doesn't change these rules. There is no Bcc field in the received message -- all the Bcc does is allow the sender to specify the envelope address so that a copy of that message arrives in your Inbox, but your address is not in any headers when received by others in the addressing fields.
Bill

Last edited by n5bb : 29 Jul 2017 at 09:41 AM.
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote