View Single Post
Old 21 May 2012, 01:01 PM   #4
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Got a reply from NYI.

Quote:
The issue we had in 2003 was that the Generator was managed by the building at the time, whereas now we have our own infrastructure and control all aspects of our infrastructure from the fuel tanks to the generator itself. In addition to Quarterly PMs by the Manufacturer, we perform Monthly Generator Testing on Load using Load Banks that simulate our load. We also perform regular PMs on the UPS units and ATS systems to insure that the infrastructure is performing as expected. We also have our Bridgewater, NJ Facility, 40 miles outside NYC which allows us to not only maintain copies of all backed up data, but allows our customers to have access to a full fledged DR facility with dark fiber connectivity for realtime syncing of data. Now that we have the new website (nyi.net), I think your suggestion is a great one and we'll setup a page that clearly and openly states the amount of effort that goes into providing maximum uptime. Let me know if you need any additional details.

Of particular interest is the fact that it's quite unique in our market to maintain *all* of the infrastructure, particularly in NYC. Usually at least some part of it is shared, be it the fuel supply, glycol supply, etc. In our case, in both facilities, we are responsible for all aspects of the infrastructure. We refer to that on the website as "First Party Facility" but we can certainly do a better job of making that distinction.

The other point that I'd make is that we are now SSAE16 Type II Compliant which means that we have independent auditors come in and verify the controls that we have in place for our infrastructure including environmental, power, networking, security, etc. This report is done biannually and available to our customers.
That's all nice to know actually, which is why I suggested they put it on their website, which as you can see, they thought was a good idea as well.

Note: We don't have any servers at the NYI NJ facility, so that part isn't relevant to us.

However we do have some external servers that are currently a realtime read-only backup of *all* data at NYI (all users, all databases, all email, all files, all address books, etc). We plan sometime later this year to make this a fully read-write replica and use geoip to load balance users between them in regular mode, or failover to one of them in a complete disaster mode. More information when that actually is done.
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote