View Single Post
Old 14 Dec 2021, 09:46 PM   #8
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grhm View Post
This thread makes me look like a bit of an idiot, I confess!
But it is easy to get paranoid when unexpected things happen in relation to bank accounts and security codes and other sensitive things.
The ability to share ones concerns with e-mail experts on this forum is invaluable.
In this case, the sober common sense and technical knowledge of Brit Tim saved me many sleepless nights (Fastmail have still not responded to my original help ticket!).
So, thank you, Tim, and thank you emaildiscussions.com.
It's a shame that Fastmail no longer officially endorse this forum.
If more people used it, it would undoubtedly save their support staff a great deal of work.
When it comes to security around bank details, paranoia is healthy. Your fear of a worst case scenario will more often than not prove to be (thankfully) unfounded. However, a failure to react when an account intrusion has really occurred could be disastrous.

The fact that you did not immediately twig the cause on this occasion without suggestions as to possible areas to investigate is not stupidity. You accurately explained the symptoms, and this allowed for a group solution. You did the right thing, and it just so happened that this time it was me who provided a hint allowing you to find and resolve the issue. You still did 90+% of the work in allowing the issue to be diagnosed and resolved. Pat yourself on the back as someone who knows what to do when potentially serious issues appear.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote