View Single Post
Old 4 Aug 2021, 02:26 AM   #7
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwolk View Post
If you point the Mx record of your domain example.com to one email service (e.g. Runbox), it will push all mail to that one email service...

If you point the Mx record of your domain example.com to cloudns.net or porkbun.com , then their interfaces allow ....
Surely all that means is that those companies are running an SMTP server. After all, it's only an SMTP server that a sending server is going to pass one of the incoming mails to.

You're not doing any discrimination/routeing of the mails at a DNS level. DNS is providing (I presume) the MX address for cloudns' or porkbun's server.

Their server is then forwarding mail (like any other SMTP server could do).

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwolk View Post
Impossible to achieve with filters.
No it isn't. I just defined a filter using a Roundcube webmail client (and many many mail-hosts run that) that "redirected" an incoming email on the domain it services to a different mail provider (fastmail in fact). I sent two test mails to the system with Roundcube on it, one that would and one that wouldn't satisfy the filter condition. The one that didn't ended up in the Roundcube system's Inbox, the other in a folder in fastmail's system (and its headers show it did go via the Roundcube system).

Exporting the filter rules from the Roundcube system shows the Sieve lines that did it:

if header :contains "subject" "jn test redirect"
{
redirect "zz.zz.zzzz.zz@letterboxes.org";
}

(I've obscured the actual target email address).

Within the headers of the redirected test mail (received finally at fastmail) you can see who sent it, the address at the Roundcube host system it was sent to, the mailbox there that that address's mails are processed in (each mailbox has its own set of rules), the address it was redirected to, and the mailbox at fastmail that processes that final address's incoming mail.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote