View Single Post
Old 15 Mar 2023, 09:10 PM   #12
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

I have a domain hosted somewhere other than Fastmail, and it accepts emails to any address. I don't have to "register" online any of the specific addresses that I hand out to various companies.

At Fastmail I - so far - do not have a domain but instead have about a dozen of their FM-owned addresses as aliases of my single FM account) and it's annoying to have register those. It's partly why I only have that dozen or so defined, rather than (at the other place) hundreds of in-use addresses. The other reason is that the FM addresses are (obviously) not at my domain so I use them mainly for mail-lists etc where I don't need to have obviously personal addresses in use.

Yes, I get spam to a handful of the non-FM addresses, and also quite a lot to message-ids (which some spammers think are email addresses). But filters route the valid mails to valid folders and leave the other stuff to be deleted after eyeballing it to MAKE SURE that nothing misaddressed is being deleted by accident.

I do get emails from friends who persist in misspelling the local part of (whatever I told them to use as) my address. It doesn't matter how often I tell them, they don't seem to be able to fix that.

I do also (at the non-FM) place have a couple of subdomains set up with separate handling of email for them. I have thought about being creative with defining and deleting subdomains (on, maybe, a year by year basis) so that truly throwaway addresses that I do not expect to get traffic for in future can be handed out for a subdomain that will, in a year or two, cease to exist. But so far it's not been worth the hassle.

My attitude to spam changed when I ceased to use a dial-up modem to collect email, and started to use an always-on broadband connection. It's always easier to receive everything and filter it (in an email client, or - even with webmail - on the server). That way nothing genuine is likely to get deleted. NONE of my filters delete anything; they just route valid emails to one set of folders and leave the rest (in the Inbox) to be inspected.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote