View Single Post
Old 19 Jun 2023, 09:39 PM   #64
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzzy View Post
It appears the rest is ok but your spam and discord values bother me a little. You are considering all msgs <4.2 as not spam, msgs 4.3 to 4.9 as spam to go into the Spam folder, and >=5 discard candidates
I nearly commented on that too, but from a different point of view.

As I said before I don't use (ie pay attention to) FM-assigned spam scores (*), but I'd have thought that treating such a narrow set of scores - 4.3 through 4.9 - as a single category is risky. You're relying on there being no changes in the logic of how Fastmail's backend systems score spams.

I don't know if that's safe?

* - I don't trust any automated spam-scoring system never to throw away one of my mails. I do (elsewhere) see lots of genuine emails (often coming from mail lists) flagged as possible spam. It's clear that none of the automated systems are perfect.

Instead, I use separate email addresses for everybody I communicate with (so there's hundreds of those) and hundreds of rules which generally check (eg for corporate senders) that an incoming mail for my company-specific address X came from the corresponding corporate server. Those likely-to-be genuine mails are routed to probably-safe folders. Mails that don't satisfy such tests go to a very-likely-dodgy folder. Mails that arrive that were sent to old email addresses that I know have been compromised go to a definitely-dodgy folder (I still sometimes look at them, to see how spam trends are changing).

I don't automatically trust any email even if it goes to a probably-safe folder.

I read nearly every incoming mail only in its plain text form. If I want to investigate its html form I c&p the html into a text editor and look at it there, not in a browser.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote