View Single Post
Old 22 Dec 2018, 12:14 PM   #1
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Question about fileinto vs. keep

Based on some condition I want to file a incoming email into the INBOX and mailbox X. So I can write,

Code:
if ...test condition... {
  fileinto "INBOX";
  keep;
}
and later on, based on the way I am grouping things in the code in the script I do the following (otherwise I supposed I could do both these operations under the single test condition but this second one is generated by the UI organize rules):

Code:
if ...test condition... {
  fileinto "INBOX.X";
}
Now I discovered that I can leave the fileinto "INBOX"; in and remove the keep or remove the fileinto "INBOX"; and keep the, 'er, keep. Either way I get two copies of the message as desired; one in the INBOX and one in X. I believe doing an explicit fileinto disables the automatic default fileinto INBOX but a keep overrides that so that why deleting either of these commands produces the desired result.

Fine, that's what I want. However if I open one of these copies, doesn't matter which, it gets marked as read in both mailboxes! Not what I was expecting. On the other hand deleting one does not delete the other.

Is this the way these are supposed to behave? I'm not saying it's wrong necessarily. It's just a bit confusing about how the single message filed into two distinct mailboxes are not entirely treated as two distinct copies. It could be I just don't fully understand fileinto's relationship with keep.

Last edited by xyzzy : 22 Dec 2018 at 12:25 PM.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote