View Single Post
Old 11 Aug 2017, 10:38 PM   #19
camner
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
If you look at the Settings>Domains screen and click Add Domain at the top, clicking Show DNS Settings will show you the DNS information that FastMail will publish for your domain if you point your nameservers to FastMail.

If you look at the Settings>Domains screen and click Edit adjacent to your domain name (which is Active with Nameservers set), you should see a checkmark inside a green circle at the top. The DNS settings which FastMail is publishing for your domain are shown.

My descriptions above all assume that the NS records for you domain (usually hosted at your domain reseller) point to the proper FastMail server locations:
  • ns1.messagingengine.com
  • ns2.messagingengine.com
Bill
What I infer from what you have said is that FM will not allow me to edit my zone record until AFTER I point my name servers to FM at my domain registrar and FM notices that I have done that. (I don't know how often they check.). What I was hoping to do was to set the A records I wanted to set at FM BEFORE pointing the name servers to FM so that when the TTL for the name server entries at the registrar had expired and people were picking up the IP address of my website from the zone record at FM, they would get the correct IP address (the one at the web host) and NOT the one that FM would automatically point to the storage at FM. By forcing me to wait to update the zone record until AFTER FM notices my name servers have changed, I'll have a longer period of inaccessibility for the web site, yes? That's not the end of the world, because it isn't mission critical, but it IS inconvenient.
camner is offline   Reply With Quote