View Single Post
Old 18 Feb 2024, 07:00 AM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

The longest continuously used email service I have used is Fastmail (paid account in April 2004). At work we used various internal early email systems in the late 1980’s before the internet as we know it now was popular. My other personal accounts (Microsoft, Yahoo, Gmail) were activated later. I purchased my personal domain in 1999, and for 5 years used my domain reseller NameSecure to redirect email and website for my domain to the ISP host. Email for my personal domain has been hosted directly at Fastmail for years.

Before that I used various ISP email systems and played with AOL and Compuserve. Before that dial-up BBS messaging and an early Western Union digital store and forward messaging system.

I’m an Amateur Radio operator, and starting in 1970 (54 years ago) I was sending Radiograms via digital means over radio via CW (Morse Code) and RTTY (RadioTeletype). The Morse Code messages were manually generated and received by ear, while the RTTY was initially sent by an electromechanical apparatus (Teletype) and later from a pre-Windows PC. Later I also used other digital RF techniques with a PC such as AMTOR and packet radio). These were used to communicate with random text (similar to texting) and also for messages with a defined format (somewhat similar to email). These Radiogram messages were usually forwarded by others to the final destination, similar to email delivery but with humans rather than servers.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote