View Single Post
Old 12 Apr 2012, 08:44 AM   #1
Nikolaos
Essential Contributor

mail.com quietly makes pop3 for-pay?

Mods, please feel free to delete if someone has already mentioned this elsewhere - I did a quick scan of recent threads before posting this but may have missed an earlier post.

I just tried to sign up for a new mail.com account for fun. Only found out after going through the whole process that the new account does not get pop3/smtp access.

There's a little tab in settings now where the server configuration info used to be, which gives you a price list for "premium" services like pop3 etc.

Of course, I immediately ran to check my other mail.com accounts Fortunately, they still seem to be popping without any problems. However, consider this a heads-up in case mail.com decides to stop pop3 again for pre-existing accounts at some point in the future.

Pity their experiment in free pop3 only lasted for such a short time!

Since they're affiliated, I also went over and peeked at GMX.com - there is no mention of pop3 on the welcome page, and I don't feel like going through the whole signup process all over again just to find out (and end up with yet another useless web-only account) - but if anyone is feeling particularly energetic and wants to confirm this, please do come back here to update us on GMX
Nikolaos is offline   Reply With Quote