View Single Post
Old 11 Apr 2011, 11:46 AM   #9
AlvinT

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
It took me a while to make my last post, so I now am viewing your last comments. That is strange. Some comments you made have me wondering about the frequency of this problem.
  • Are only a few messages showing up on the phone -- but not the Fastmail web account?
  • Or are no new messages now visible on the web account -- but they are all delivered to the phone?
  • Look at the delivery addresses for those messages showing up on your smartphone but not the web account. Are the messages causing your confusion being delivered to a different address?
  • If your phone service is like mine, there is a direct email address (through the phone company) which delivers email directly to the phone. Those message might not be coming through Fastmail at all.
  • Be sure to look at the full headers (if possible) on the smartphone to see how they were delivered. The Fastmail receiving server has "messagingengine.com" in the name.
If that isn't the problem, here is what I suggest to check this out:
  • Temporarily turn off the phone completely.
  • Send yourself a test message (to the same address you saw on the smartphone which seemed to disappear).
  • This new test message should immediately be visible in the Inbox your web account after you click the refresh button. I'm assuming you don't have any rules which move or block this message.
    • If the test message is delivered properly:
      • Wait a few minutes and click refresh again and make sure it stays there for a while.
      • If it remains in your Inbox, then power up your smartphone and initiate a POP retrieval, and see if this is removing the message from the Inbox as viewed from the website. Remember to use the refresh button to update the website display.
      • If it disappears after delivery but your smartphone is off, then some other email client (probably using POP) is removing the messages. In the Fastmail web interface, look at the Options>Login Log. This shows the time, IP address, and other details about all devices accessing your Fastmail email account.
    • If the test message is not delivered, then some additional troubleshooting is required.
      • Are you sending the test message to your main account email address (used for the login name) or to an alias or a Virtual Domain alias?
      • If you are using an alias, then look at the Options>Aliases (or Virtual Domains) screen and check the Target set for that alias. You can have multiple targets (separated with a comma). But if you don't have your main Fastmail (login) email address entered, messages to that alias will not be delivered to your Fastmail account.
      • If a bad alias target isn't the problem, then check your Options>Rules screens. You may have a rule which is forwarding the emails to another account read by the smartphone and deleting the original message!
If none of this works, then keep posting here. Or file a Fastmail support request (for a paid account) using the Need help? Start here link at the bottom of any Fastmail web interface screen.

Bill

OK I went through all this and couldnt duplicate it (my android mail client doesnt show full headers, which is a shame )... so I bit the bullet and after MANY years changed my mac mail application to IMAP

I thought it all worked fine but now my mail doesn't show in my inbox (I changed to IMAP on my android phone as well)

So which of you is going to be first to point out the dumb thing I'm doing? by the way the mail client shows 6 unread messages bit the window is empty

Thanks in advance

Al
AlvinT is offline   Reply With Quote